1200 calories

crowl

I heard this weird new thing that people are doing to lose weight and this one stuck out since I thought the DNV was always about 2000 calories a day. Is this even safe to think about for people?

benben

There is no set number that should be set. Every person needs a different amount of calories. I have done the math and to maintain my weight I need 500 more calories than my wife. For me 1200 would not be safe at all.

Jdrake

Maybe 2000 is for men and 1200 is for women. I don't know enough about nutrition to know for sure, but it does seem like that is a very low number.

Ed35

I thought it was 1500 calories per day. The key is to burn more calories than you consume each day - that would keep the weight off. I think I eat way more than 1200 a day!

Salazar

I couldn't survive on 1200 calories if God asked me to. My wife tries to stick to 1200 because she says if she goes over that's when she puts on weight. If I had to guess, I'd say I eat more like 3000. But I also work outside all day and burn a lot of that off.

crowl

I get the burn more than you take in but sometimes that is really weirdly scaled. I read something the other day that said 40 minutes of exercise like aerobics might only burn at the most 300 calories. So how does that work?

Greendad

I was not born to take only 1200 calories a day. There is no point to losing weight if the process makes you feel starving and weak all the time.

crowl

I know there is a difference between feeling "full" and feeling "fed", but there should be a little in between time when you are not "starving" or "hungry", but feel a little empty. So far I am doing okay with it but the weekend with the 4th did mess me up a little (ice cream, beer, pizza, Chinese food).

Luke

1,200 calories a day is totally acceptable if you are trying to lose weight. I read about a diet in Britain for reversing type 2 diabetes that calls for only 800 calories a day for two weeks.