A good business to start

Jonathan

I know it is not the best time to start a new business. Though, just curious, if money were not an issue, what kind of business would you start today?

CHenne

A restaurant - people need to eat right? I would make the dishes be reasonable prices too. You want people to come and eat so the food would have to be wonderful and reasonable.

Jonathan

I think that's a great idea CH. I think it is an evergreen niche. People will always need to eat regardless of their financial situation. I think in this business you could also expect high profit margins.

Jack

My wife and I have decided to start an administrative services business. People who are in business for themselves often do not have the time or expertise to do many of the necessary administrative support things that need to be done.

Jonathan

That sounds like another profitable business. I heard that many companies are outsourcing their administrative work to freelance workers and independent contractors. Though, I wonder how it works. Where do you find your clients.

Ifamily

I imagine that any businesses related to health, fitness and weight loss would be profitable. Health and weight loss products are always in high demand regardless of the economic situation.

Andersson

I am not sure if I would start one at this stage in my life, but you are right as you can never go wrong with two things - food and health. Both will be around forever, and everyone needs a little of each.

uhoh

I think that's a great idea CH. I think it is an evergreen niche. People will always need to eat regardless of their financial situation. I think in this business you could also expect high profit margins.
I used to be in the restaurant business. The margins are not high at all, believe me. Between the costs of the actual food and the operating expenses, restaurants have very slim profit margins. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a true passion for food.

Sinbian

If money was not an issue I would definitely start something I like to do and won't worry about money. But on the other hand, it's real life and most business decisions are based around fixed budget.

Enrique

If sky's the limit on money, my wife and I would love to open a bookstore in our place. We live in an area where people have to travel for an hour or two to go to a bookstore. Given the big number of schools in our place, a bookstore would most probably be the right business to go.

Ifamily

It is funny because I used to dream of working in a book store or library when I was a child. I love reading and I love the idea of being able to read books all the day at work.

Betterman

We would open a bookstore as well. A bookstore is the one business my wife and I have both been passionate about owning. Sadly, that dream was pretty much flushed down the toilet with e-readers.

Ifamily

Sadly, that dream was pretty much flushed down the toilet with e-readers.
I believe it's not. You are still able to run a book related business. You can, for instance, build an online book store. It would take less money to invest and you can even target international market.

Miller

I've worked in the textbook industry, and the book business is one that is in major upheaval right now. With all the new innovations in e-books, cloud computing and digital files, there will be major changes ahead.

meowcow

I would put up a bar and restaurant. It's always been a pleasure of mine to cook and serve people and I've always fancied the restaurant business with all the bells and whistles and stresses that come with it. I believe it is one of the most satisfying businesses that anyone can put up, and I believe you will grow old happy when you have been running a successful restaurant business for decades. Hopefully I can fulfill this wish sooner than later.

themdno

I'd love to start a business involving dogs somehow. Maybe dog walking, or dog-grooming. I love animals, so doing something with dogs would be great for me.

I wouldn't be able to handle working with sick animals though. I'm too much of a baby when it comes to dogs dying. But, I could take good care of the ones that aren't sick!

Victor Leigh

You can start a business by creating a forum for idea exchange. Choose a niche that you like. For example, you can start an idea exchange for recipes.

Hedonologist

A restaurant - people need to eat right? I would make the dishes be reasonable prices too. You want people to come and eat so the food would have to be wonderful and reasonable.
People need to eat, but you have the worry that people will start to eat as home as it's cheaper. it can payoff well if done right, but one must be cautious that it is not too over ambitious for a first business.

I think online marketing is a safe bet for a first business. Solely because it's not too difficult to learn, and shouldn't ruin you if it doesn't pay off.

Michael

Starting a business

If money isn't a consideration, I would start a hobby store. I live for my hobbies and would enjoy everything about being around hobby supplies and people talking about hobbies. I could easily do it all day long, six days a week.