Adjusting to personalities

HappyDad

Do you adjust to your children's personalities or do you make them adjust to your personality? I've found that when I adjust to their personalities I develop a better relationship with them.

Regis

When I moved in with my wife I had to adjust to her children't personalities. I've noticed over the past year that we've kind of met in the middle which is working out really good.

Victor

I try to respect and follow my children's leads without driving myself crazy. They are very young so it's too soon to say how it's working out. ;)

HappyDad

I try to respect and follow my children's leads without driving myself crazy. They are very young so it's too soon to say how it's working out. ;)
I hear what you are saying. :) My friend, who is a child therapist, says kids know themselves the best so when it's reasonable, let them take the lead. It's been easier for my wife than for me but I keep trying.

Enrique

I also adjust to my kids' personalities. It's challenging because children are unique in their own way, and when I don't get their "drift" they normally take it against me. I do keep an open line to my kids, so we can share each other's thoughts and work from there.

Miller

We have one child who is an adopted Russian orphan. He is our toughest challenge, and I think he will continue to be as time passes. Sometimes his little personality is just not one that you can cozy up to. Whether we've fostered that, or whether it's something that has grown out of his former life, we don't know. We pray a lot.

HappyDad

We have one child who is an adopted Russian orphan. He is our toughest challenge, and I think he will continue to be as time passes. Sometimes his little personality is just not one that you can cozy up to. Whether we've fostered that, or whether it's something that has grown out of his former life, we don't know. We pray a lot.
Any chance there's some separation anxiety with the child? That can cause problems that have nothing to do with you. A visit to a mental health professional can help diagnose a problem if one exists.

Andersson

I think it takes a little of both from past experience. I do not want to walk on eggshells for anyone but I do not expect everyone to do it either. A little compromise can go a very long way.

joeldgreat

I had three kids and they all have each type of personalities. Each child is a unique individual. We parents must be sensitive to know our children's traits and should treat them accordingly. As one child maybe an outgoing type while the other prefers to be a homebody. We should also understand and should allow our kids to express their individual preferences.