Are you OK with a B?

Enrique

For those who have older kids, are you guys okay with your kids getting a B grade? Or do you "encourage" them to do better and get As instead?

My kids have scholarships in a Science-oriented school in our place, and even if my wife and I don't want to pressure them into studying hard, we still end up doing so because a B grade wouldn't just cut it.

The kids don't complain as they are used to it by now, but as a Dad, I wish they could live like normal kids their age where they don't need to exert so much effort in a particular thing. :(

Victor

My kids aren't that age yet, but I would be ok with a B as long as they were working hard. I taught high school for a couple years and I saw kids who stressed out so much about getting a B instead of an A that they'd practically be in tears. I don't want my kids to get that upset.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I understand not every kid will be good at every class. I'm ok with a B if they are trying. If they have given up though, it may be a whole other story.

HappyDad

It really depends on the kid and their apptitude. If I know my son has worked his butt off and the best he can get is a B, then I'm good with it. If he was slacking and got a B then he and I would have a heart-to-heart discussion.

BigPapa

I would tend to agree with you Happy. If they are trying really hard and doing the best that they can do, I am not going to make them feel bad over a B. I went to school with a boy who had parents that pressured him into being perfect with grades and sports. He got expelled over an infraction on a school sponsored trip to Paris and went nuts.

polamalu43

I don't force my kids to be "perfect". If my kids are doing their best, it's good enough for me. If they are not working hard and just getting by, then I push them. It's that simple. All kids are not "A" material.

Miller

Not every student brings home an 'A'. Even if he does his best, many teachers don't give 'A's' and will readily admit it. There are some really bright students out there, too, and some grades do need to be reserved for that upper excellence.

Bear

I would have absolutely no problem with a B as long as they were trying and doing their best. For that matter a C would be fine as long as they are really trying and giving it their best effort. Not all kids are going to excel in every subject. I know when I was in school I struggled for B's and C's in Math, but I took advanced level courses in every other subject from middle school on.

HappyDad

Here's an example from my family. One of my older sons loves band. If he got anything lower than an A, I'd have a problem. Math...that's another story. I watched him work his butt off in math, get help from a tutor and he got a C. I let him know I was happy with how hard he worked.

JRDeep

I think it's always good to reach for mastery of any subject. A B grade is good, but it means that there are a few key elements that you still fail to grasp. I'd push to study a little more, and bust out the dents of the material you are having problems with.

meowcow

Yes, we are okay with getting B's in our household. We do try to encourage them to get higher grades whenever they can, but we do understand that they may just be a little more interested and can excel better in other aspects of life. I understand your situation though, a scholarship is really a gift that is hard to pass up, and it's not so easy to just say okay to letting that go. I guess it's okay to encourage, but not to the point of pressure. We shouldn't be so hard on our kids, and we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves as well. I know it's easier said than done, but a B is definitely not the end of the world. Good luck!

makingloot

My kids aren't that age yet, but I would be ok with a B as long as they were working hard. I taught high school for a couple years and I saw kids who stressed out so much about getting a B instead of an A that they'd practically be in tears. I don't want my kids to get that upset. I would tend to agree with you Happy. If they are trying really hard and doing the best that they can do, I am not going to make them feel bad over a B. I went to school with a boy who had parents that pressured him into being perfect with grades and sports. He got expelled over an infraction on a school sponsored trip to Paris and went nuts.

Beaver

B is truly fine. It would be difficult for the child if he or she is pressured to meet a certain level. Let the child set his/her own goals and try to encourage but not force to meet a goal that would make him/her the best that he/she can be.

themdno

I think where ever my kids are at, I will always push them to do better. If they had A's, I would push them to better themselves even more.

However, with that being said, a B is perfectly acceptable, and I would never not be satisfied with that. I would never act like it was not enough, even if all they got was a D. I would just push them to do better.

Geonarlie

I think I'm okay with a B. I might even be okay with a C as long as I see improvement. D's and F's are what I'm not okay with. My kids have never brought home anything below a C and I'm happy about that.

dimbaka

Is getting a B grade OK?

Getting a 'B' Grade is not a problem as long as it is not consistent with my boys. I can't expect children to consistently excel in their examinations as many factors influence their performance, which I may realize only when I step into their shoes. Children nowadays are under tremendous pressure amidst heavy competition to keep themselves in the number one position and they are indeed working hard.

If we sincerely ponder, we may get in touch with the reality with what I say. This doesn't mean, I'll be complacent with their B grades. I would still motivate them and make them aim for A grade. This needs a patient approach for better results.

RoRobb

I have no issues with 'B' grades either! When I was in high school I would get mostly A's. I got B's in the science subjects, and normally a C in math. As long as their grades are good enough for them to be on at least honor roll status, we are satisfied! :)

Timothy

I don't have an issue with a "B" personally, because that means they are grasping 80% of what they are being taught. While I would certainly encourage them to try for an "A", I wouldn't punish them for the "B".

Babar

Yes, a 'B' is quite fine. I can understand wanting your kids to do their very best, but even bright students sometimes have classes that are simply beyond their skill set.

Victor Leigh

I am alright with whatever grade they can get.

Now my children have all grown up and I do not regret my decision. Those who did well in their studies have got good jobs. Those who didn't are still doing alright and making a good life for themselves.

So a grade B doesn't automatically mean a less fulfilling future.