Awkward questions

Rod

How do you deal with it when your child asks things like 'will you ever have another baby?' I don't plan to, but I'm young and there's a chance I'll meet someone who wants to have a bigger family.

Milt

I think I would just flip the question around and start a conversation like "What is making you think about this?" and keep the focus on where the child is coming from rather than provide much detail on my feelings on the matter.

crowl

I am sure I will grin and blush a little at the same time depending on what the question is. Keep in mind, we had to go through this with our parents so remember what its like with the shoe on the other foot. Kids get embarrassed easy so keep that in mind when you are talking to them, no matter what the subject is.

Ralphie

You can't really talk about "adult things" with a child, although you can certainly talk to them about what's on their mind, so I think that's the approach I'd take.

Rod

Good points, thanks for giving me your opinions. I dodged this the first time but if it comes up again I will definitely use the question to see what is on her mind.

collin

child asking about if you'll have another baby?

I don't see anything wrong with your child asking if you'll ever have another baby. Kids often ask these type things for a myriad of reasons, like: maybe they are curious if they will ever have to share daddy with someone else, a mild jealousy thing, which is natural, also, they may wish they had someone to play with, and many other possible reasons only your child would lnow or feel.

I would not worry about this whatsoever, and I would simply answer them in total honesty. After all, what's the matter with honesty? Kids will understand, believe me. They are capable of dealing with things much better than we give them credit for, as long as we are honest. I'm a firm believer in that honesty truly is the best policy.

Betterman

I agree with collin. As long as you are honest, to an extent, there really is nothing awkward happening. Explain that you don't plan on it, but it's still a possibility.

Victor

I'm a big believer in honesty at an age appropriate level, so I would probably answer. I think following it up with a "Why is this on your mind?" question as Milt suggested is a good idea though.

Andersson

Having the patience of an old wise one before I ever became one worked out well for me. It seems I have a natural talent to break any type of news to a child pretty easy without upsetting them or having anything end up "too over the top". Honestly but simplicity go a long way.

Sinbian

My parents asked me if I wanted another brother or sister. I told them that one sister is more than enough. I can't remember saying this but it made me laugh later in life when they told me.

Bear

For a question like that I would just be honest and say that I didn't know. Unfortunately none of us can see what the future holds.