Baby Costs?

Strongarm

I always hear that having a baby is very costly. What kind of ball park figure do you think I'll be dealing with on a monthly basis? I assume the most expensive things are food and diapers?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
We did not have food costs as the wife used breast milk. We also have one of those baby food grinder things, so he eats what we eat. Diapers are costly, but we shop deals. Target and Toys R Us often have $10-$20 gift cards when you buy a few packages of diapers. Add on some coupons and it helps reduce costs.

The hospital bill is what really hurts, at least for us.

Glenn

It really just depends on the variables. We bottle fed so that was pretty costly. It also depends on whether you buy strictly necessities or if you're buying a new "irresistible" outfit every week. Babies really don't need much other than food, basic clothing, warmth, and love. I think it gets expensive when some parents feel like they have to buy every baby product they see.

Phillie

I don't think there really is a ball-park figure. You don't know what you will need (some babies need special formula's, special diapers, etc.) You will need baby wash, diaper rash ointment, all kinds of things.

Strongarm

Sounds like I may be in over my head here. :) I'm joking. Ouch, I can't even imagine the hospital bill. I bet it skyrockets with any complications too. I'm hoping my wife won't go overboard on the baby clothes since the baby won't fit in them for that long I assume. I think my wife will breast feed, but do women do both formula and breast feed?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like I may be in over my head here. :) I'm joking. Ouch, I can't even imagine the hospital bill. I bet it skyrockets with any complications too. I'm hoping my wife won't go overboard on the baby clothes since the baby won't fit in them for that long I assume. I think my wife will breast feed, but do women do both formula and breast feed?
Well, if it is a regular birth, they are in and out the same day. C-Section, it is supposed to be over night. For us, our son was born Thursday, and we left Monday. The wife had some extra bleeding, and our son was born with cleft lip/palate and had problems gaining weight. We did not know about it ahead of time, and he lost too much weight so we had to get him steady. Thankfully we learned a lot from a nurse who went way beyond her job to get us information while we were there.