Baby talk

Enrique

Did you ever baby talk to your kids when they were three years old or younger? We try not to baby talk to my son who is two, but my mother and other relatives do. Right now, he still doesn't talk fluently although we can understand what he's trying to say. I never had this issue with my other kids (who are girls).

Victor

We don't really do much baby talk, although we will repeat a few cute things that they come up with. My two year old speaks pretty clearly; it's too soon to say with my 8 month old, who just started saying "Mama".

JRDeep

I was never a fan of baby talk. I use baby talk to mock people sometimes. I'd never wanna do that to a child.

Enrique

I frown on "baby talk" too, but even if we don't practice it at home, when we visit friends and relatives, they can't help themselves from doing it.

Regis

I read The Celestine Prophecy and The Tenth Insight by James Redfield a long time ago. I know that in one of them it is suggested that you talk to little kids as if they are adults (g-rated of course) because it will increase their intelligence.

Andersson

I think I did for about a week and then after that I was finished with it. For the wife she did for months at a time but I like the idea of speaking as an adult. After all while in the womb its not like they hear baby talk all of the time, do they?

Waynefire

I always talked to my kids when they were younger. I know that many people have ignored there children at this age. However, for me I will not ignore my kids because it seems like I am neglecting them all the time.

flfsurveyor

No, i did not baby-talk to my children. I was teaching them simple words like daddy and mommy from the moment they could make oral sounds. Of course, they had difficulty pronouncing the words at the start but they sounded like the words not some gibberish like da-da-da-do-do-do stuff.

Babar

I can understand the temptation to talk in baby talk when looking at a cute little munchkin, but it really should be avoided so as not to confuse his/her language development.

Niceness8000

We decided that we would not baby talk to our son even before he was born. I don't know how true it is, but I think that baby talk slows down their development to use actual conversation. Again, I do not know how true that is, but I don't do it because I don't want to have to train my son later how to not use baby talk. I talk to him now as if he were able to use the same language.

tommymac

It's better to talk to children as if they are little adults. Baby talk is cute, sure, but it doesn't do well for the child's vocal development.

Victor Leigh

It's been so many years since my children were babies that I can't rightly remember whether I had baby talked much to them. All I can remember is that I wasn't that good at baby talk, so I talked normally to my babies. Not exactly adult talk. More like young children's talk.

writer811

We were very strict about not using baby talk around our kids and strangers aren't allowed to either. I've met kids who talked like that well after they should have stopped. So I don't do it at all.

Lorenzo

I'm guilty of baby-talking to my kids, but I only did it when they were infants. When they started talking, I talked to them like I usually talk to any other person. Of course, when they needed comfort after hurting themselves from playing, I inject some baby-talk to make them smile. Thankfully, all my kids learned to pronounce words real well.

Bear

We never really did the baby talk thing either. My youngest is 18 months and sometimes we repeat back what he says just like he says it, but when we are really talking to him we use regular language.

Niceness8000

It's better to talk to children as if they are little adults. Baby talk is cute, sure, but it doesn't do well for the child's vocal development.
I agree and we specifically made that agreement before my son was born. I honestly don't know where baby talk started, but it doesn't actually make too much sense, in my opinion . . .

mollew3

My son started off talking late and now we cant get him to be quiet. Haha. I would just be patient and wait. At first we thought he had some kind of deficiency but he ended up just fine. If it really bothers you I had a tutor who taught kids with autism come out to my house to give him lessons. After getting the lessons he was talking in about four months.