BB gun

Ed35

I want to get my son a BB gun for Christmas but my wife is saying no. He is 10 and I think it’s a fine age for a gun. I’m pretty sure I had one at the age of 10. When did you get a BB gun for your son? Do you think I’m being unrealistic?

Luke

I got my first BB gun at 7, and I gave my daughter one over the summer...she is two. I think your wife is the one being unrealistic here. BB guns are great for little boys AND girls. They present an awesome way to teach target practice and gun safety.

Johnson

He is ten and he doesn't already have one? Pull A Christmas Story on her buy it, wrap it, hide it behind the tree, and give it to him after all the other presents have been unwrapped. She's not going to take it away once he sees it! ;)

CHenne

I'm with the others on this one, just get it already! I bet all of his friends already have one and have had for years! I loved that movie, You'll shoot your eye out!

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I was 7 or 8 when I first got one. The first six months I had to have someone with me when I shot it until I was able to prove myself with it. I still have it.

Sportsfanatic

I got my first high powered BB gun for my birthday when I was in the sixth grade. I don't remember my age at that time, but I know I was older than 10. My father taught me how to shoot and gun safety. I did have a friend with a Red Ryder BB gun when I was younger than 10 though. We were responsible with it though.

Kost

That is not a bad age at all and its not like you are going to let your kid run around the house with it. I think many parents are worried about guns as toys and they are not of course, but those parents who lack in safety end up giving the rest of us a bad rap when it comes down to it.

Mel

I think you and your wife should discuss it and try to come to an agreement on the issue. If she is uncomfortable with the idea for some reason, you should respect that enough to talk about it.

Phillie

Discuss and agree? Heck no- buy the boy a BB gun! Seriously keep pushing your wife. I agree that you can set some ground rules. He can't shoot it unless you are with him, etc..

Thompson

I like Johnson's idea...give it to him in classic A Christmas Story style! I think ten is a fine age for a bb gun if you haven't gotten one before then. :)

Rob

In our house it would be MUCH easier to for my spouse and I to "discuss and agree" than if one of us made a unilateral decision knowing the other had issues. (I'd NEVER hear the end of it.)

Bear

I think ten is more than old enough for a bb gun. They are a great way to teach gun safety rules, and to teach them how to shoot.