belly

Jeff

My sisters newborn has a extremely protruding 'belly button'. I think something is wrong but she won't take him in to the doctor. It seriously looks like another appendage! Any one else ever seen something like this? The baby is only a month old.

PaPaul

Banned
I assume the umbilical cord has already fallen off and what you're seeing is all belly button? Does it protrude more when the baby is straining, like when crying or having a bowel movement? If it does, it might be an umbilical hernia, but you won't know for sure unless a medical professional looks at it. If it doesn't, he might just have an "outie" belly button.

forgotten

My son had umbilical hernia when he was an infant. It protrudes most when he cries. We used to press it down when he strains. It subsided in due time.

Kenny

A newborn should be visiting the pediatrician fairly regularly for vaccinations. I would make sure she mentions it at the next check up. It may just be the belly button though. :)

Andrew

When it's about newborn's you should always take them to a doctor, they are more sensitive than adults and consultation over the net is mostly speculating seeing how I don't think anybody in this forum is an m.d. and even if they are, I doubt they can diagnose as accurately as when they see the patient.

Heartbeat

You mean, something like this happens to babies? Wow, I guess there's more to learn than I thought there was. I'm going to have to read more.

HWard84

It could be a hernia, I've seen other babies with these. I bet the doctor would have noticed it though. Usually babies go into the doctor a lot more than kids and adults, so I bet the doctor will catch it.

Jeff

She got home from the doctor and said it was a hernia. I have never heard of a newborn getting a hernia before. Her doctor didn't say anything and had seen the baby 3 times before!!! He told her not to worry about it unless it turns blue, and by the time he is 5 it will be gone.

WillyWonka

An umbilical hernia is not uncommon in a newborn from what I've read. It very rarely needs to be surgically treated and does fine as long as the parent knows about it and watches it. We all tend to worry about our kids though, don't we.:)