Calling in support

Miller

We had a storm recently and I have all sorts of debris, trees down and a general mess on my property. The guys at church are bringing our youth over to help me clear out the mess this evening. They are even doing a barbecue on the grounds and making a fun afternoon of it. How great is this? I spend an evening a week with this youth group, so instead of riding bumper cars this week, they decided to bump my limbs and leaves.

BigPapa

Well that is really awesome that the youth group pitched in and did that for you. All to often today's youth are too busy with their ipods and cell phones to help anyone.

Bear

That is really great that they are coming to help you out. Sounds like you guys are doing a great job teaching them about the importance of community involvement.

Regis

That sounds great Miller. You're lucky to live in such a caring community. Sounds like you're turning out some pretty good people too. I wish ours was like that.

Enrique

It seems you've bonded well, not only with the people in your community, but with the kids in the youth group as well. It's great to know that there are people you can count on when you need them the most.

Miller

I'm happy to say we got the job done. I have a nice, clean yard again. One guy even brought his tractor and helped move some of the large pieces of log to the woods behind my house. They enjoyed it, I think, and stayed until well past dark. We sat under the gazebo and watched the rains come in. Barbecued chicken and hamburgers went over well, too. I am a lucky guy. We have the best folks around here.

themdno

That's really cool that they would come and help out like that. Just by having a good attitude about it, you can take something that would normally be a chore, and turn it into a fun evening.

I wish more people were like that in the world.

JCJ

Our church does this too! In fact, they put a roof on my grandparents house last year. If they hadn't done it, then my grandparents would still have a leaky roof since there's no way they could have afforded to have it replaced on their own.

Kina

That is pretty cool. There is a payoff for joining these clubs. As long as you use them in time of need and do not take advantage, then you are in good shape. I have a good friend that is a Mason, and they help each other out all the time.

josephconrad

Sounds like a great youth group. It's commendable. Where I live we had a storm a couple of weeks ago that devastated the area- tree limbs, branches and debris were everywhere. A few of us pitched in to help sweep some of it up in our own immediate area, but I know the emergency services were working full time to resolve it.