Camping with children

Miller

We're finally going to take the bull by the horns and go camping with our kids. We're thinking of visiting the mountainous area in West Virginia. I understand they have lots of wilderness, animal-oriented parks and attractions suitable for children. Call me brave papa.

Victor Leigh

Good for you. I suppose, when you say camping, you are talking about sleeping in tents and living for a while without tv, mobile phones or the internet. Or are you talking about living in log cabins with all those amenities I mentioned?

Enrique

There's not much place to camp from where we live, but if it wasn't an issue, I'm sure my family and I would make camping a monthly thing.

Miller

We're going to start out at one of the state parks, I think. I do have to do some research. We have a few small to medium tents. We're also going to make sure there's a hotel handy in case we have a change of mind.

Waynefire

Great job!! I know my kids want to go camping, but I am waiting for the summer heat to break some. Last night we were a low of 82. So it is definitely something which I cannot tolerate neither can my kids. However, to start off with we are going to do the backyard thing because I would hate to have a campsite rented only to have the kids want to go home right away!

fairbjosh

Sounds Great man wish I had the courage to do this lol. I have a 2 year old and one girl on the way so I do not know how that will go, also we live in Florida it is a little to hot this time of the year to go camping. Have fun man let us know how it goes!!!!

JCJ

We're finally going to take the bull by the horns and go camping with our kids. We're thinking of visiting the mountainous area in West Virginia. I understand they have lots of wilderness, animal-oriented parks and attractions suitable for children. Call me brave papa.
Don't overlook some of the areas in East Tennessee as well. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Big South Fork, and a whole assortment of state parks in the area to choose from. I don't know where you're located, but East TN is like hiking/camping central. :)

If you have pets, Big South Fork is a good option. They allow dogs on the trails if I remember correctly.

If you decide to bail on it, you could always drive on over to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and play putt-putt golf, ride go-carts, etc.