Can counseling save them?

Mark

I have a friend who is thinking about getting divorced and I'm trying to convince him and his wife to go to counseling and see if they can work things out. Do you think it will help? How can I prove to them that it's worth it?

WillyWonka

Well, it will either help them to stay together or help them to finally decide they can't make it work. Counseling is a good idea to really get some of the hidden problems out in the open and talk them through. I can help to separate amicably too, so that's good.

Salazar

They have to want to go and they have to want to work hard to stay together in order for it to work. And even then sometimes it doesn't work. I do think you're doing the right thing by encouraging them to go though.

Jack

Maybe because someone like you thinks it could work and that it is worth it to try will cause them to consider that it could work and that it's worth it. Good on you.

CoolFather

Well, counseling has saved a few of my relatives' marriages, so I must admit that it can be effective... but not every time. How can you prove to them that it is worthy? Simple: make them an appointment, pay for the counseling sessions yourself and tell them they've got nothing to lose.

Aiden

Well, it can help them but only if it's what they want. If people aren't willing to change then counseling could just cause more problems than anything out. I know it sucks, but if they're not wanting to fix it, then it just isn't meant to be.