Chickenpox

youngone

Yesterday I found out my son has chickenpox. His little face is covered in red spots and it has spread down his neck. I know chickenpox is common and relatively benign but I'm still worried. Do any of you have any advice for kids with chickenpox?

polamalu43

Don't itch! Its better for people to get chickenpox as kids and not as adults. Oatmeal baths work to help control the itching. Kind of gross to lay in but it does help.

Justadad

My wife used to put calamine lotion on our kids when they got chickenpox. It helps stop the itching, and I agree, it's better to get it as a child.

Andersson

There is an outbreak in our area right now that is only hitting the adults, so far no kids have caught it. I had my battle with the pox many years ago and our kids too, thankfully we never had any major issues though, some get it bad!

Victor

Youngone, I agree it's better that your son got chickenpox now rather than later, although it must be hard to watch him go through it. Oatmeal baths and calamine lotion are the remedies I’ve always heard.

Bear

Oh, no! I have never had the chicken pox, and neither has my wife so if our kids get it we may have a serious problem on our hands. I know getting them as an adult can be life threatening. In fact, I have an aunt that nearly died from chicken pox. She was hospitalized for weeks.

Andersson

It must be going around this week! A neighbor just told me her grand baby has it as well, woke up from school (the grandchild lives with her and her mother after a terrible separation) and wouldn't you know it, spots galore! Our kids had it early in life like myself and the wife, thankfully none of us had it too bad. This poor kid was covered head to toe.

Christian

Yikes! I haven't had chicken pox before and I would really rather not. I haven't heard about anyone in the area having them, and my kids have had the vaccine so I hope we can skip that.

Lorenzo

Chicken pox can be a total pain. I had it when I was a kid and Polamalu43 is right, you should tell your child not to itch, if he can help it. Itching will just cause unending itches which could also lead to permanent scarring. My kids had their Chicken pox vaccine when they were really young, but I'm not sure if it would prevent them from getting it later on.