Chore Division

Victor

How are the chores divided in your home? Does your wife expect you to do all the cooking and cleaning since you are home with the kids?

I would have a heart attack if my wife wanted that of me. She likes to cook, so she does that every night and I clean up after her. I do most of the cleaning but she will help, especially if I ask.

JRDeep

We have a well oiled machine in place. We expect each other to do what's needed to keep the house clean, and in livable condition. No one is relegated to specific chores or anything. I cool some times, she takes out the trash some times. No schedule to the whole deal. It get's done. No biggie.

CHenne

We both do chores. I'm not a stay at home dad though. I would not expect a stay at home mom to do all the chores either. I think chores should be split. We cook together a lot at my house.

Victor Leigh

When I had a wife, the chores were split in the traditional way. I was the one who went out to get the bacon home. She was the one who cooked the bacon. More or less something like that.

Jack

I cook, she cleans. It's what each of us is most interested in doing, and therefore, what we are each best at. Because we do it this way, it's also the most efficient!

Don

It depends on who is home at certain times. Sometimes more of the chores fall on me and sometimes more of the chores fall on her. Our children are also responsible for certain things, so it's a group effort.

Kina

Mine are divided like this. I tell both of them to do something, they argue with each other until nothing is done (or half a$$ed done) then I end up doing it. It is a viscous cycle of complaining and doing nothing. They are so spoiled they will not even do it for money.

Victor Leigh

I cook, she cleans. It's what each of us is most interested in doing, and therefore, what we are each best at. Because we do it this way, it's also the most efficient!
I, too, cooks and she cleans. That when we are making cakes because I can make cakes better than she does.

joeldgreat

The division of chores basically comes naturally. In the morning, we share the responsibility of preparation for the breakfast and at the same time preparing the kids at school. In the evening though, it is always the one who had not bitten by the days work who does the chores. But eventually the other will take time to help the one's doing it. It goes this way for a long time now and now that one of my kids is entering the adolescent age, she may share some of the chores (washing, teach her siblings on assignments, etc.)

Andersson

If everyone can do their fair share then it makes for an easier home to live in, plus it teaches kids responsibility. Too many young ones now get away with a bunch of things I never could, and why would I want to raise a lazy child (just to become a lazy adult)? No one picks up after you in the real world.

micromachne

If everyone can do their fair share then it makes for an easier home to live in, plus it teaches kids responsibility. Too many young ones now get away with a bunch of things I never could, and why would I want to raise a lazy child (just to become a lazy adult)? No one picks up after you in the real world.

I couldn't agree with you more. That just comes down to bad parenting when parents allow their kids to slack and be lazy and they pick up after them.

Lorenzo

In our house, the older kids get the "difficult" tasks like helping in the cooking, getting water, throwing the thrash. The younger ones are assigned to help set the table and clean up after. We couldn't stress more to the kids the importance of team work. If anyone decides to be lazy for a day, everyone's "job" is affected, as well. They are aware that when everybody helps each other, we accomplish things much faster and easier.

Hedonologist

I do a chunk of the chores from my own motivation, it probably amounts to less the half of the chores but I am at work 4 days a week so it's only practical. I do all of the gardening chores, some cleaning. She does most of the cleaning and most of the cooking. The children will be doing some soon enough :)

BigDaddy

I handle the outside, anything that requires more than a screwdriver and do my own laundry. I do help on occasion with cooking, dishes or household duties as needed.
She handles the day to day house and kid stuff. Running errands, the kids, shopping, bills those sorts of things.

Neither one of us have set roles though. She has been known to mow the lawn when I have to go in on weekends and I will run kids afterwork if it has been one of those kind of days.