Clipping Nails

Victor

I hate clipping my kids' nails. The baby's nails are so little that it's hard to avoid cutting her skin, and the 2 year old squirms and fights me every step of the way so it takes about 3 times as long as it should.

I should outsource this job to the wife. :p

Sinbian

Wouldn't that be a super cool job to have, baby nail clipper? :D I think you can earn serious amount of money that way. People who have to do this on their kids know that this has serious perspective.

Foster

My wife hates doing this so it gets left to me. Both our children squirm when it's time and she's scared she'll hurt them.

I agree, baby nail clipper would be a well paid job as I don't know many people that do like doing it.

flfsurveyor

My wife did most of that. I remember we used a really fine pair of scissors to cut the baby's nails. You could not use the regular nail cutters on baby nails. As for toddlers, it took a lot of patience; the ten fingers just could not be finished in one sitting. You have to let them go when they squirm a lot then catch them again later to finish the job.

Niceness8000

I don't know if there's a solution to this. Unless you do it while they're asleep it seems that kids will squirm. We have a pair of baby nail cutters and my son sits reasonably still in short bursts. Our problem is the same as yours; his fingers are still tiny. He does not like getting his nails clipped now because they have been cut too low before (we all have, I guess). You could try letting them grow out a little, then shave them down enough where the nail is still poking above the skin, but perhaps not so high as to be lethal as they are when they are like claws.

Lorenzo

My wife also relegates the nail cutting job to me. When she tried it the last time, she accidentally cut the baby's skin :) What I do is wait for the baby to fall asleep before I cut his nails. It also helps to use a specific nail clipper designed for the little ones.

R. Paradon

I have to agree that the easiest way has to be when the child is sleeping. Why bother with the agony (mental of both you and the child)? As they get older perhaps you can make a game out of it.

BigDaddy

You take them to the nail shop and have the super tiny lady that works there do the trimming. Sometimes the nail lady is no bigger than the kids!

Victor

I have to agree that the easiest way has to be when the child is sleeping. Why bother with the agony (mental of both you and the child)? As they get older perhaps you can make a game out of it.
I think I'm going to try this in the future. Hopefully my toddler will stay asleep once I start messing with her fingers. As for the baby, it’s easiest just to clip hers while she is nursing.

FrankSinatra

I just scare then so they get nervous and bit their nails...problem solved. just kidding...

But seriously, mine bit their nails off so I am off the hook.

writer811

Luckily for me, the young'uns in my family are very heavy sleepers. In the past, we've cut their nails, cut their hair and washed their faces and hands while they sleep and they never wake up. That's the only way we can get the job done, they're terrified of scissors (We don't use the nail cutters on small children). So we wait until they p*** out and then get them all groomed up.

ghanashyam

Yes, I agree, clipping of nails of a child who is restless can be a horrendous job for father who is not cut for this job.
Why do not you teach him to eat the nails rather? :D
But of course, clipping the nails when the child is asleep is the safest way.

Miller

This job always works better with us when the children are asleep. I used to be so afraid of cutting the baby's fingers. I do have one child who sits still and lets the wife cut them.

footballtim

This was just another thing that my parents differed on making us do. My father always had me clean my fingernails instead of cutting them. Of course, my mother told me to cut them. This was one that I sided with my mother on.