Colorado theater shooting

Lorenzo

Has anyone heard the news? The Colorado theater mass shooting is everywhere on TV and the internet. Another senseless act from someone who seemed intelligent and harmless enough. I mean, killing random people inside a movie house? How twisted is that? I grieve for the families of the 12 people who have died and for the 50 or so others who were injured. :(

Victor Leigh

Yes, I have been following that news item. It's a tragedy.

However, according to one writer, it's something that near impossible to avoid. He was presenting the two sides of the argument for and against gun control.

The way he sees it, gun control won't stop anyone from getting the guns to use to kill. On the other hand, allowing the general public to carry concealed guns in public won't be useful either because in such a case as the Toronto shooting, more people with more guns would have created a bigger tragedy because in a confusion like that, everyone with a gun would end up shooting everyone else.

polamalu43

A tragedy for sure! It makes me sick to my stomach! There were kids in that theater too. I just can't imagine. I've been listening to some of the "survivors" stories and to hear the fear in their voices is heart breaking.

Bear

The situation is certainly sad, and I feel bad for the families of everyone involved including the shooter's. As far as gun control goes, the community of Aurora had a TOTAL BAN on concealed carry weapons, in spite of them being legal in the state of Colorado. One concealed carry weapon holder on one of those front rows once the shooter started moving further into the theater could have saved lives and prevented injury to many.

Don

The guy had his first appearance is court today. I don't know if he was acting, medicated, or really is insane, but he looked really "out there."

Kyp

It truly is a tragedy. I just recently heard that the little girl who was shot and killed, her mother was pregnant & got shot in the abdomen twice along with her neck, apparently both the mother and unborn child are still alive. What a miracle! But still, such a tragedy.

Bear

I am sure that he his medicated to the gills, but did anyone else notice how unlike "himself" he looked in the pictures from court and the picture they were initially showing on the news? If you compare the two pictures side by side it doesn't even look like the same guy, and I am not talking about just the bright orange hair. The nose, face shape, and lips look completely different. Maybe he had plastic surgery between the two pics, but I imagine he was too busy building bombs in his living room for that.

BigPapa

The situation is certainly sad, and I feel bad for the families of everyone involved including the shooter's. As far as gun control goes, the community of Aurora had a TOTAL BAN on concealed carry weapons, in spite of them being legal in the state of Colorado. One concealed carry weapon holder on one of those front rows once the shooter started moving further into the theater could have saved lives and prevented injury to many.
Bear,would it have helped to unleash yet another weapon in that crowded theater? What if that one concealed carry holder was a 90 year old lady who just got it for protection and didn't know how to use it? She could have harmed more people than she helped.

The sad fact is that this whole tragedy could have been stopped before it began. Earlier this week police discovered that a journal detailing the entire shooting was sent to a University of Colorado psychiatrist over a month before the shooting occurred. It never got opened because "she was too busy". If she had taken just a moment to open the mail, this would have been over before it began.

micromachne

Nut jobs like this guy are what make it easier for Governments to put ever so suffocating laws on us. Just wait and see the myriad of "you can't do this" start to happen.

JRDeep

How long before they start having Troops stationed at the exits of all theaters?You know they'll be some kinda copycat trying to get famous off doing the same thing one day. This is very sad.

FrankSinatra

Nut jobs like this guy are what make it easier for Governments to put ever so suffocating laws on us. Just wait and see the myriad of "you can't do this" start to happen.
The government uses the media to blow cases like this to national level and remain there so they can create these laws. In reality though it is the governments way of using these one-off scenarios to stop people from revolting against them.

Hello North Korea...

Bryant

The government uses the media to blow cases like this to national level and remain there so they can create these laws. In reality though it is the governments way of using these one-off scenarios to stop people from revolting against them.

Hello North Korea...
Absolutely Frank! The media has already blown this to such proportions that we have Congressmen talking about magazine bans, not allowing ammunition purchases without signing your life away, and a ban on "assualt rifles" when they wouldn't know an actual assault rifle if it hit them in the face.

FrankSinatra

Absolutely Frank! The media has already blown this to such proportions that we have Congressmen talking about magazine bans, not allowing ammunition purchases without signing your life away, and a ban on "assualt rifles" when they wouldn't know an actual assault rifle if it hit them in the face.
Well, Congresswoman Gabby Giffords probably would.

hachacha! Too soon?

Really though, these are all one-off scenarios. It is crazy people that do this, not the guns or ammo. I am very much in favor of my personal liberty so telling me that you are shitting on my rights and not allowing me to own a gun will cause a revolt. Is this what the government wants? States forming militias again to take down their own government?

Bear

Possibly Frank. I have been doing a little research recently and it seems that not too many years ago Australia decided to go for a gun ban so everyone would be "safer". Their crime rate has risen by 60% and people are having their homes broken into in the middle of the day. Not only that but suprise, suprise the criminals have guns!

micromachne

Hello North Korea...
Extremely good point. Not many realize that btw.