Confusing stay at home with work at home.

Zimmer

I no longer work from home, but there was time when I did and my wife seemed to have a hard time understanding that just because I'm home, I still have to work and don't have extra time to do all of the household chores, now a buddy is in the same situation. So has anybody here had the same problems?

Davidson

It all depends on how understanding she is I guess. I moonlight from time to time and sometimes chores get a back seat, most of the time my wife understands, but like everybody else she has her bad days and good days and on the bad days sometimes I get stuck in the crosshair.

Kyle31

When I am able to work from home, my wife knows I'm considered not there. I all but lock myself in my office. I have important calls coming in, and can't have the kids hanging out. She's been very understanding, and prefers I work from home as much as possible.

Tony_The_Great

I have been lucky. We found a good jack of all trades that doesn't charge a lot. He is my life saver. My wife knows to go to him with all house related needs. Before that, there was some friction because my to do list for home chores was getting out of hand.

bighelp

It is always hard to work from home no matter what gender and no matter what type of work. Part of being able to work anywhere in a good manner is not being distracted. When you are at home that will be something the person needs to adjust their work time with. Limit distractions, including spouses.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Yup. Not only the wife though, but friends and family. They think that I can just get up and do whatever, whenever. It has not helped lately that my schedule is out of whack. It hasn't been "9-5" since February and I'm busting my butt trying to get it to that. Right now I'm spending more time then I like trying to get our house together.

I think some of my wifes family and friends think I'm mean because I will go into the office and close the door while they are here.

Dave07

I run into the same problem here. I work in the evenings from home to try and make some extra money but it's still work and it still has to get done.

Cruise

I no longer work from home, but there was time when I did and my wife seemed to have a hard time understanding that just because I'm home, I still have to work and don't have extra time to do all of the household chores,...
I think it's because you used to work in pajamas? :D Seriously, I think home workers should set a (fixed, if necessary) work schedule and let other people at home know about it.

Phillie

That stinks! I'm not a stay at home dad nor am I a work at home dad. I can see how people would think you could do extra things though. I know many moms that work at home and still clean, run errands, and make it to every kids event. Hey moms are pretty amazing.