Considering Preschool

Victor

We are considering a preschool for our 3 year old. She'd go two or three days each week. Part of me really wants her to go so she can burn off some energy away from me, and part of me is sad at the thought of her being away from me so much.

Bearsfan

We put our 2 girls in preschool and will put our son in when he's old enough. We always planned on it, not only for the educational aspects, but also to work on socialization skills.

stephen

Nowadays it seems like they have to go to preschool. It's actually turned into more of a pre-K then just a socializing experience. If your kids don't go then they'll be way behind the learning curve when they start kindergarten.

Victor

My state offers a free voluntary preschool for the year before kindergarten, so my kids will definitely go to that. We were considering putting her in a preschool that costs for this year and next, before the free VPK. However, after further consideration, we're going to wait a bit longer. Perhaps we will try dance class after the holidays.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
@victor. Florida does free vpk also. However there is a catch as always. It is half a day, not a full day. So you either have to have someone pick the child up, or pay for the extra for a full day.

My daughter has been in "school" since around two and a half and my son started this year at a year and half. I put school in quotes as they both go to a Montessori school, that accepts kids at 18 months. They get a school type environment but also some daycare style setting. My daughter is now in preschool and it is much more like school although her homework is voluntary right now.

Lorenzo

We enrolled our son in pre-school when he was just about to turn two. It's only for a couple of hours and the school is a few blocks from where we live. He's grown so attached to his mom (to the point that he cries when she leaves his sight) that we wanted him to be in a new setting with kids his age. So far, he has learned to be independent by not crying when we leave him with his teachers. He can also identify the letters of the alphabets, can count up to ten, color and make friends.

youngone

I went to preschool when I was a child and I sent my son to preschool as well. He enjoyed it because he made new friends and it kept him stimulated during the day. I know it's sad seeing them go but it's only for a few hours and it can be of huge benefit to you and your child.

tommymac

It's the first step towards indoctrination. It can be great for developing social aspects at that age, but, personally, I would hold off for another year.

BigPapa

I think that it is good for them to get out and socialize with other people their own age even though I understand your trepidation about being away from them. It will be good for both of you as you will get time to yourself and she will get to play and learn with other kids.

taskeinc

Let her go, you'll miss her but she will enjoy being able to play and communicate with kids her age. Plus, this will make it much less difficult for all parties when it's time for her to start kindergarten, or 1st grade.

Victor

@victor. Florida does free vpk also. However there is a catch as always. It is half a day, not a full day. So you either have to have someone pick the child up, or pay for the extra for a full day.

My daughter has been in "school" since around two and a half and my son started this year at a year and half. I put school in quotes as they both go to a Montessori school, that accepts kids at 18 months. They get a school type environment but also some daycare style setting. My daughter is now in preschool and it is much more like school although her homework is voluntary right now.
Jason, we are in Florida as well. I wasn't aware that VPK was only a half day, but I'm not terribly surprised. I suppose it will help with the transition before kindergarten.

How do you like the Montessori school? We would like to use one but am not sure we can afford any around here. I know they would get vouchers for VPK at least but am not sure if we'd still have to pay on top of that.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Jason, we are in Florida as well. I wasn't aware that VPK was only a half day, but I'm not terribly surprised. I suppose it will help with the transition before kindergarten.

How do you like the Montessori school? We would like to use one but am not sure we can afford any around here. I know they would get vouchers for VPK at least but am not sure if we'd still have to pay on top of that.
The VPK program is 540 hours for the school year, I think around 300 if you do the summer program. It follows the school year which is 180 days, making it 3 hours a day. I do think there is a 6 hour version, but it is much shorter at around 90 days. I do think they allow those who provide VPK to setup a few different style programs.

I love the Montessori school. Do your homework on the schools in the area. There is an association or certification that the schools can get. Not all schools calling themselves Montessori are certified and some can use the name without really following the teaching methods.

The school is not priced that bad. I've known others who pay more for daycare. However there are some other costs involved. We help provide snacks for the class, which is on a rotation method. So when my daughters class only had about 7 people in the class, we had to bring snacks in every other week. There is also a 10 hour time per year we must help the school. This can be done by watching kids on the playground, field trips, book fairs and other ways to help around the school. My brother used to do the box top program since they both worked during school hours. My wife does field trips.

mollew3

I would say to let her go. I cant believe that you dont want any free time! When my daughter was old enough to go to pre school we put her in there immediately. It was hard for her to adjust to the fact that we werent going to be there for eight hours but she eventually adjusted to the new system. She was really attached to her mom to the point that she would cry when we would leave her with the other kids. After about a week at the school, my daughter didnt want to leave the other kids when we came to pick her up.

Victor

I do want free time! I would love that! I still wouldn't get any if she were in preschool, though, because we have a baby at home too. Still, we would put her in preschool now if we could find an affordable option we liked, but we discovered that right now it's not really in the budget.

Jason, thanks for the info!

tommymac

Let her go, you'll miss her but she will enjoy being able to play and communicate with kids her age. Plus, this will make it much less difficult for all parties when it's time for her to start kindergarten, or 1st grade.
By that rationale, he should have put her in some sort of program at age 2 so that it would make it less difficult to start pre-school at 3.