Custody Battle

Timothy

A friend of mine divorced a couple years back and the court awarded split custody between him and his ex-wife. At first the ex was heeding the court orders but now she's completely ignoring them, so he hasn't seen or talked to his son in months. He wants to go back to court and fight for full custody but is afraid the dispute will be costly - more costly than he can afford.

Any advice?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing I can think of is to go back to court, and let the judge know she is not fulling the agreement.

JenVarsity

A friend of mine divorced a couple years back and the court awarded split custody between him and his ex-wife. At first the ex was heeding the court orders but now she's completely ignoring them, so he hasn't seen or talked to his son in months. He wants to go back to court and fight for full custody but is afraid the dispute will be costly - more costly than he can afford.

Any advice?
Can I ask what state he is in? The laws vary by state. Specifically in Wisconsin, the couple would be placed in mediation first. Which would be much cheaper than taking her back to court immediately. If you could give me the state, I could elaborate much better for you and your friend.

collin

answer

Well, what are his children worth to him? I don't see how money could possibly be a factor when you are talking about your children. if a woman is going to be totally outrageous and not follow the law, then she seems to be an unfit parent, and I would think barring any outrageous behaviour by the husband, he would stand a good chance at full custody... given he is proven worthy by the court. And this would be done by costly home studies and investigations by the court appointed officers, and pai for by the husband most likely... or whomever had the most money in some cases... but in the end... aren't his children worth the fight?