Dads in cartoons

Mohidad

Homer Simpson maybe not the best and the smartest dad in the cartoon world, let alone in the real world, but he is definitely one of the coolest. Any other big fan of Homer Simpson here?

Paranoid

As far as a dad goes, I always thought Homer was kind of terrible. It's hard to find really good dads in cartoons on television. I think that there might be a few on the Disney channel. Maybe some of the parents in Rugrats, but then again those kids are always running around loose.

WagnerB

Homer maybe cool as a cartoon character, but I wouldn't use his parenting style to raise my children. I agree with Paranoid, there aren't many good dads in cartoons.

wilson

What about parents in general? I have never really seen either that I like, both moms & dads are a little too far off in the cartoon world to have any normal impact (good impact) on a viewer who is watching the show.

Paranoid

Wilson, the more I think about it the more I think you are right. There aren't many good moms in cartoons either. I think it's fine though a little depressing. The movie Coraline was a big example of bad parents to me that I found disturbing.

orangesweater

To me it seems that dads on TV in general are depicted as dimwitted while the mother's seem to have a better handle of things. It seems like the easiest thing to do. I think a good challenge for the writers is to come up with something genuinely funny without resorting to old had cliches.