Daily Activity and Routine Charts for rewards.

Bearsfan

Lately our youngest is going through a bit of a defiant stage. It seems like everything is up for debate. It's been driving my wife and I crazy. So my wife took a tip from his teacher at school and printed up these daily activity sheets for all our kids.

She's writing down things they need to do at various times of the day and has assigned point values. They do their list, they get points. They trade the points for rewards, like extra TV time, or 15 minutes extra past bedtime.

It seems pretty easy, which makes me wonder if it's really going to work. Does anyone else have this system employed at their home and it works? Or did you try this kind of thing and it failed miserably and why do you think it did?

Lorenzo

I remember my mom used to do something like this when my siblings and I were younger. Instead of point values, she used to put a star next to the chores we've accomplished. If you don't get a star, it means you don't get any reward, plus you still need to do that specific chore or it will only pile up onto the next day and so on. I guess it worked because I can still remember how much effort I put in just to get those stars.

Salazar

I think those charts work well because the kids can see their stars or points or whatever adding up. Getting the visual gives them the motivation to do their chores. Give us an update in a week or so, bearsfan, and let us know how it's working out in your house.

Victor

We have the morning and bedtime routines on a poster, with pictures of the kids doing each activity, but we haven't tied rewards into it. My oldest seems to like them but it doesn't always make her more likely to cooperate.

Bearsfan

Well, we finished our first week, and I would say it was a success. Things that used to be a struggle or at least a disscussion have turned into tasks complete without even asking. My wife says her mornings are so much easier now. Tomorrow is cash in day when the kids will use their point for rewards. That should be...interesting.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Would like to hear how it turns out. The wife has tried it before but never kept up with it.