Dating

youngdad

I haven't dated much in the three years since my son was born and I got custody. His mother decided to give him up and go on with her life. I've met someone recently that I plan to ask out and I'm hoping that a relationship might develop. If it does, when should I introduce her to my 3-year-old son? Should I be open about dating her from the start? I have no idea how to handle it.

Adam

I would make sure that she knows that you have a 3-year old son, if you haven't told her already. If she isn't comfortable with that, then that should be a deal breaker. If she is okay with it, I would probably have them meet once your relationship starts to get serious.

youngdad

That's what I was thinking about the timing. That's really good advice about letting her know upfront about my son, but that was taken care of not long after we met. I pulled out my wallet and showed her Bobby's pictures. She's okay with me having a child.

I hope others in my position who read this take your advice. It's much better to let a woman know about your kids before a relationship starts to develop than to spring them on her later.