Daughter flying alone

polamalu43

I have a 15 year old daughter and she wants to fly to Florida alone this summer. My wife is trying to talk me into it too. She is going to go and stay with my folks for a couple of weeks. We don't want to pay for another ticket for one of us to fly down and back. I guess I'm more scared than she is. It's a direct flight both ways. Would you let your 15 year old?

Enrique

I agree with your wife, your daughter can fly by herself. She is already 15 and thus, isn't considered a "minor" in the airline industry. My wife used to work for United Airlines and they have young passengers flying by themselves all the time (even those younger kids, classified as unaccompanied minors). You also mentioned it would be a direct flight, so that would be much more convenient for your daughter. Anyway, if you still feel apprehensive, you can always ask the airline personnel to assist your daughter, since this would be her first time flying.

Timothy

I think it's okay at 15 years old, so long as she's already showing signs of independence and behaves maturely. You'll accompany her to the airport, airport personnel will assist her to the plane, then she'll get off the plane and meet your parents. There's no real alone time there where she could find herself in a situation where she needs help and can't get it.

Bear

I don't think she will have any problems. I mean after all in one more year she can drive a car on her own. I think she will do fine and it is a good way for you to show that you trust her.

polamalu43

Okay I feel a bit better. Old worrywart dad here! She is so excited to go. She is a bit nervous about flying now. She is only worried about the take-off and landing. I am worried about the airport.

BigPapa

I would be okay with it as long as it is a direct flight and your parents will be at the destination airport to meet her. She is 15 after all and I am sure she is mature enough to handle flying alone.

Miller

I've watched how airlines handle this situation. The child does get extra handling and is treated as a special passenger, getting extra attention from the airline personnel. I was very impressed when a 12-year-old relative flew to our in-laws from out of state.

Victor Leigh

15-year-old? Sounds old enough to travel alone. Especially since it's a flight. All you have to do is make sure that she get onboard safely. Then make sure that she's received safely at the other end of the flight.

JRDeep

I'd be a little weary, mostly because of the pad downs at the airport. But year, a 15 year old traveling on a plane by him/herself seems doable.

AvalonX

I'd be a little weary, mostly because of the pad downs at the airport. But year, a 15 year old traveling on a plane by him/herself seems doable.
No way to avoid this these days. I think 15 is ok. Like others have said it really depends on how mature she is. You can stay at the gate with her and when she gets off the plane you folks are there. As long as you have some kind of "what if" plan when she gets off. Like for some reason you folks are late, emergency etc.

Victor Leigh

Ah, yes, some contingency planning is definitely needed.

Make sure that she has got all the necessary phone numbers written down as well as stored in her mobile phone. Make sure that she has some cash handy. Also all the addresses of the people she's going to stay with. Don't forget to double-check that her mobile phone is fully charged, too.

Squeesh

I'm sure she will be fine, airports have lots of security so she wont have any problems and going through and experience like that will help boost her confidence and feel proud of her self for being able to do it on her own. She wont actually be traveling by her self outside of the airports since I'm sure you will drop her off and your folks will pick her up at the airports.

themdno

I think she is the perfect age for flying alone. Any younger, and I think it may be scary for the child, but at 15 years old, it should be a great experience for her.

You have to think, you can be with her until she enters the airport, and goes through security. Then, your family in the other city can meet her at the airport, so her only real alone time would be waiting for the flight, and the flight itself.

I think it's good for you, too. It's not bad that you're worried about her, and don't want to let her go. But, you have to let her spread her wings, and it'll be much worse at 18 when she can do what she wants. It's good to get a little practice letting go in. :)

RoRobb

It is most definitely doable. However, I probably would not let my own children do it. I would rather be there with them. Making sure they don't get lost trying to get to and from the gates.

What if there is a flight delay? What if she were to get bumped from her flight? Then she is stuck in an airport alone for hours on end.

polamalu43

She did it! She went today and had no problems. She called me when she got to the airport! She said the landing was a bit rough but she was fine. I was scared that once she got there she would say she wasn't coming home on the plane.

themdno

She did it! She went today and had no problems. She called me when she got to the airport! She said the landing was a bit rough but she was fine. I was scared that once she got there she would say she wasn't coming home on the plane.
Haha, that would be funny. 'OK, I'm here I'm safe.. I love you. Oh, by the way I'm not coming back :p'

I'm glad she got there safe. The last time I flew the landing was rough, too.

Victor Leigh

Congratulations to both you and your daughter. Now you have to worry about her wanting to fly alone more often. After that you will have to worry about her flying off first, then calling you from the other airport to tell you she has arrived. Ah, well, she has to grow up someday, doesn't she?

polamalu43

No Victor she doesn't! (have to grow up that is). I'm not ready for her to grow up... I already miss her and she left yesterday! The house is really quiet without her here.

Victor Leigh

No Victor she doesn't! (have to grow up that is). I'm not ready for her to grow up... I already miss her and she left yesterday! The house is really quiet without her here.
In that case, when she gets back, make the most of the time you have with her.

My own children are all grown up now. And I cannot turn back the clock. I cannot go back to the time when they are still at home and I can be with them.

You can still do it. While you still have time. Believe me, the time you have left with your daughter is very much shorter than you would like it to be.

psmith140

Persoanlly, yes I would. They are usually extremely independent and self aware at 15 (much more then we ever give them credit for) To be honest kids these days are so nannyfied and cushioned by parents, they need to go out and explore the world as early as possible. I wouldn't worry about her too much, she is probably more grown up then most of us men!!