Daughter is going to the prom

Don

My daughter is a Freshman in high school and got asked to the prom. She was also asked last year (as an 8th grader), but she wasn't keeping her grades up (which was a requirement for her to be allowed to go), so it wasn't an issue.

We have agreed she can go this year (straight As and Bs!), but I have to confess I'm nervous about it. Anyone else ever feel like their little girl is growing up too fast?

Godric

I can't really relate that much because I only have one child and it's a boy. I would probably be nervous though given that my girl is going out with someone at that age.

Babar

She must be a popular lady to be asked that young two years in a row! I don't see a problem with it so long as you get to know the guy and everything remains supervised.

Don

She must be a popular lady to be asked that young two years in a row! I don't see a problem with it so long as you get to know the guy and everything remains supervised.
Actually, she was suppose to go with a large group last year. The boy that was going to accompany her was just a friend (my wife assured me). This year, its different since the boy is considered a real "date."

Timothy

I can't say I know what you're going through, because we have a son who is still very young, but I can imagine and I think if I were in your shoes, I would be VERY nervous! I've heard that these proms aren't well-supervised, but if you trust that hers will be, I don't see an issue with it.

Kina

Yeah I would be nervous too. You should have three more years before you have to worry about that sort of thing. Do you know they guy she is going with this year?

Bear

Is the prom at the school? Our proms were always at a hotel in a big city about a 45 minute drive away. Personally, remembering how I was at that age I think she is probably too young for something like the prom, but that is just my opinion.

CHenne

Exciting for her. How much older is the boy? I would be a bit scared too. You know what boys think like - especially at proms. Do you know this boy? I would have a talk with him.

Andersson

A younger friend of ours has her daughter stressing over the prom coming up, she is a good student and about a year older than your girl. We all have been through this and it has different stages. I still remember when my kids were under 10 and did not want hugs in public anymore!

Don

Yeah I would be nervous too. You should have three more years before you have to worry about that sort of thing. Do you know they guy she is going with this year?
The boy goes to our church and my wife taught him in Bible Study, so we do know him and I also know where he lives. Ha ha.

You would think this would make me feel better, but I remember how I use to be at that age.

taskeinc

My daughter is 16 and a sophomore in HS. She too makes very good grades. Fortunately for me as a father, she has no interest in boys. She's not interested in girls either, except for friendship, but so far, she's not asked me if she could go out with a boy, or date. We are very close, her mom lives in another state so would really have no say in the matter. I do realize that time will come and I've mentioned to her that, as long as I meet the guy (and his parents), talk to him briefly, I probably won't have a problem with it.

taskeinc

With all due respect, the fact that he goes to church and bible study, has very little to do with how he may or may not treat a woman/girl with respect. In the church you will find a plethora of "Wolves in Sheeps Clothing."

Don

With all due respect, the fact that he goes to church and bible study, has very little to do with how he may or may not treat a woman/girl with respect. In the church you will find a plethora of "Wolves in Sheeps Clothing."
Oh, trust me, I know that the fact that he goes to church doesn't mean he's a good boy. Our Preacher's son got his girlfriend pregnant about a year ago, so I have my eyes wide open. I merely meant that we actually know the boy and so far he seems like a decent kid.