Dear stay at home dads

benben

Hi there stay at home dads. I think that talking to other fathers who stay at home might be helpful for those of us who do not. What have you learned from being a stay at home dad that you wish you had known sooner?

Jaxon

That housework isn't as easy as it looks.:] I get cabin fever too every once in awhile, and find myself going to town just for a loaf of bread so I can get out of the house.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
If you work from home, have an office with a door you can close. Not open to the rest of the house.

sid

Hi there stay at home dads. I think that talking to other fathers who stay at home might be helpful for those of us who do not. What have you learned from being a stay at home dad that you wish you had known sooner?
I'm a stay at home dad because I'm a work from home dad for over a year now :) and I love it. Yeah, I do have to maintain a space of my own, off-limits to my kids when I'm working. But all I have to do is stand up and walk past that door to see them when I miss my wife and kids.

One thing I learned is that I wish I have done this sooner. I'm still thankful that I've finally done it while the kids are young -- rather, especially that the kids are still young. Being right there to help directly mold my kid's minds and hearts is something irreplaceable. Time passes so swiftly.

stayathomepaul

Yes, that is a big one for me as well. Before I was a stay at home dad I did not place the same importance on spending time with the kids that I do now. I always thought "make just another dollar, there is still plenty of time to spend with the kids" But there was not. Half the time I had no idea what was going on with the kids and reading them a bed time story a few nights a week with them was not cutting them. Know I have taken the time to get to know my kids better than ever and I love it.

sid

Hi Paul, it's great to know another father who experiences the same. Time is a scarce resource for us in either way, business or family life. Doing them both at home is an incentive technology is making available to anyone who wants it :)

Photo courtesy of Flickr: Denzil~'s Photostream under a Creative Commons License.

vince

Sid I love the picture!! I also agree working from home is such a wonder. Yes housework is much harder than I thought, so is staying home with small children. I have a lot more respect for the wife now more than ever!