Discipline

HappyDad

Are you good at enforcing discipline with your children? For my kids, they get one warning and once they've crossed the line, they have to deal with the consequences of their actions. No idle threats in our house.

Enrique

Yes, my wife and I have mastered the art of discipline in our home. I would only have to give a warning - with my eyes bulging - and the kids would instantly turn into meek lambs. Of course, we always explain to them why they couldn't do such and such things so they would remember not to do it again.

Bear

We are still struggling with discipline in our house. Neither my wife or I want to spank our kids, but so far no method has been conssitently effective.

Victor

We're working on it. I'm not always good about just giving one warning, but if they don't listen, I will apply consequences within fairly short order. We don't spank.

HappyDad

We are still struggling with discipline in our house. Neither my wife or I want to spank our kids, but so far no method has been conssitently effective.
My wife and I have become creative with punishments. Our kids do push-ups, sit-ups, write x number of times, etc. When the kids write, instead of writing negative messages like, "I will not...", they have to write what they will do, e.g., "I will be nice to my brother."

BigPapa

I don't even have to warn my daughter. When she starts to misbehave she gets the look from me that says she is making a bad choice. She knows what that means and stops whatever she is doing.

Timothy

My wife and I have become creative with punishments. Our kids do push-ups, sit-ups, write x number of times, etc. When the kids write, instead of writing negative messages like, "I will not...", they have to write what they will do, e.g., "I will be nice to my brother."
This is great! Like Bear, we don't want to spank our son, but sometimes it seems like what we say goes in one ear and out the other! Right now, we are utilizing time out and taking favorite toys away, but we still have issues with his behavior from time to time, so we may have to get creative, as well.

HappyDad

This is great! Like Bear, we don't want to spank our son, but sometimes it seems like what we say goes in one ear and out the other! Right now, we are utilizing time out and taking favorite toys away, but we still have issues with his behavior from time to time, so we may have to get creative, as well.
Here are a few more ideas to get the creative juices going. If our boys fight, they sit on the couch and hold hands. If one does something really bad to the other, the instigator cleans up the other person's bedroom. Hope that helps.

Victor Leigh

My idea of discipline is very old-school. Spoil the rod and spare the child. Not that I have to use the rod very often. Most of the time, just using it once is more than enough. The very threat of the use of the rod is usually good enough as a deterrent against bad behavior.

joeldgreat

Disciplining the kids is a never ending task of being a parent. No matter how old they are already. My mother is still disciplining me until today. And I want to do that with my kids too until my last breath. I'm a disciplinarian which never tolerate misconduct. But not the type of person who had his belt on the hand while doing it. There are lots of other punishment that I imposed just to discipline my kids. Doing the household chores for instance and lowering their allowance or simply no TV, computer and cellphones are some things we parents can imposed for misbehaving.

Squeesh

Disciplining the kids is a never ending task of being a parent. No matter how old they are already. My mother is still disciplining me until today. And I want to do that with my kids too until my last breath. I'm a disciplinarian which never tolerate misconduct. But not the type of person who had his belt on the hand while doing it. There are lots of other punishment that I imposed just to discipline my kids. Doing the household chores for instance and lowering their allowance or simply no TV, computer and cellphones are some things we parents can imposed for misbehaving.
Agreed, taking away video games is like putting their entire life on hold! I think its much more effective to take things away than to physically hurt them via spanking etc. The only thing to watch out for is if you end up taking EVERYTHING away, then the kid has nothing to lose and will backfire on you.

JRDeep

I don't wanna spank my kids, but my girl is totally fine with doing it. I think she's seen as the more disciplinary one of the two of us. I'm the cool parent they go to when they want stuff.

flfsurveyor

My wife and I were good at it. Spanking was definitely, tho rarely used, part of the regimen. As the kids grew older, they were deprived of certain privileges like TV, video gaming, computer time, mobile phone usage, etc. depending on the misbehavior. Also, household chores were given as punishment.

ghanashyam

With the my advancing age, it is not possible for me the punish the children physically. But I am happy that my elder son has taken over the charge from me to discipline my younger child and sometimes, even he would advise me as to to my behavior. Discipline is a particular way of life that a man lives and expects others to follow him irrespective the his own convenience.

Jatelo2

Agreed! Kids do not respond to threats rather will know the impact of the warnings given only when they are put into practice. I also warn, though severally, but when the kid has turned out to be rebellious, he has to be shown the right path through appropriate disciplinary action(s)!