Divorce and the Bible

Dad Brad

I'm wondering how many men out there believe that divorce clearly goes against the Bible's teachings and would stay in a marriage regardless of the situation. Are there people here who believe that divorce is a sin against God? I'm a minister and curious about these things.

Ifamily

Good question. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think according to the Bible, married people are not to divorce for any reasons other than infidelity. Does it mean that Christianity allows you to divorce for infidelity?

TJoel

I am not so religious in the way church goers and the Bible's readers are religious. But personally I don't like divorce, and it is the last thing I want to do in my married life.

Tobsey

I can't imagine how bad a situation would have to be in order for me to consider a divorce, but I would never divorce my wife. I claim this based not just on my love for her but from religious reasons as well (I'm a christian and I believe in the Bible).

TJoel

I think we get used to divorce too much and think that divorce is OK. No, it is not OK. Divorce should be the last solution for marital problems.

Restless

The explanation is pretty simple, to me at least. People are self absorbed and as a result other people's needs are never considered before personal ones. How about personal sacrifice, giving so much to others that it hurts how good it feels?!

LeonR

Far too many people go into marriage thinking that if it doesn't work out, they can just get a divorce. The television celebrities don't help the younger generations when it comes to marital relationships. Churches, at least, encourage people to look and think before they leap.

Babar

I don't believe the Bible is the inspired word of a god anymore than you believe the Greeks or Egyptians or Mayans had it right. This whole divorce thing is yet another example of your holy book spewing bad advice.

Stay in an unhappy marriage because some invisible authority says so? That's craziness.

Salazar

I divorced my first wife even though I believe it is a sin. I tried to make it work for ten years and during that time she was abusive most of the time. I expect to have to answer for it someday and my answer is that I am human and I couldn't envision spending the rest of my time here being verbally and physically punished.

Lorenzo

I'm wondering how many men out there believe that divorce clearly goes against the Bible's teachings and would stay in a marriage regardless of the situation. Are there people here who believe that divorce is a sin against God? I'm a minister and curious about these things.
Yes, I believe that divorce is indeed a sin against God. When a couple get married, they are aware that it SHOULD be for KEEPS. It is a sacred vow that should not be easily dismissed, just because you and your spouse don't see eye to eye. In the first place, you both know what you are getting yourselves into, and no matter what happens within the marriage (bad or good), you have to live with it and be better people, not just for your own sakes, but most importantly, for your kids.

R. Paradon

I am not a Christian per se but I do not think that divorce would be a sin in God's eyes. It was not God that told you to get married to a specific person, but the idea of you and your wife. And anybody who does not think that humans make mistakes needs a reality check. I don't feel that God wants two people to live together in misery. That is not exactly my conception of love.

1DaddyRun

Bravo to you Babar!

I don't believe the Bible is the inspired word of a god anymore than you believe the Greeks or Egyptians or Mayans had it right. This whole divorce thing is yet another example of your holy book spewing bad advice.

Stay in an unhappy marriage because some invisible authority says so? That's craziness.
And I would add that Christians have the highest rate of divorce than all groups within the United States. Moreover, their ministers are notorious for getting divorces while constantly preaching against divorce.

Case in point is Kenneth Copeland. Most people don’t know this but he was divorced twice before he married Gloria.

Which leads me to believe that religious people pick and choose which parts of their holy book that they are going to obey and which ones they are going to disregard.

Jatelo2

Praise the Lord Brother. It is interesting to find that there are ministers who are still conscious of biblical significance in our lives. Many, even ministers, have focused on being politically correct as opposed to being write with God. Divorce though not a direct sin as such, shows that the sacrificial love that man is commended to have towards his wife has been abandoned. Jesus said that Divorce was allowed in case of adultery, but a deeper study will show that one is required to forgive and continue living with the woman...In summary I'm against Divorce for the sake of divorce, But I support that If one has a rebellious and adulterous wife, divorce is fine if sought for.

micromachne

Marriage is a sacred vow. And breaking it (according to the bible) is a sin. But then again, so is adultery. And you see "so called" bible followers do that on a daily basis so....

Jatelo2

I divorced my first wife even though I believe it is a sin. I tried to make it work for ten years and during that time she was abusive most of the time. I expect to have to answer for it someday and my answer is that I am human and I couldn't envision spending the rest of my time here being verbally and physically punished.
You do not have to worry about answering for it one day if you did it for the right reason. Divorce is allowed if the partner is adulterous or a fornicator. If you did it for other reasons than that, then now is the time to ask the Lord for Forgiveness and be free again!

BigPapa

I thought I was the only one that felt that way about the Bible! I stay with my wife because I love and adore her. I do not plan on divorce but I would not stay in a marriage because the moral majority says I should. I have seen enough of that to last a lifetime. My grandmother was a God fearing Catholic who stayed in a marriage where she was beaten every day because the church told her it was "the right thing to do".

micromachne

I thought I was the only one that felt that way about the Bible! I stay with my wife because I love and adore her. I do not plan on divorce but I would not stay in a marriage because the moral majority says I should. I have seen enough of that to last a lifetime. My grandmother was a God fearing Catholic who stayed in a marriage where she was beaten every day because the church told her it was "the right thing to do".

That's why sometimes people shouldn't live their lives by religion. Your grandmother must have been miserable in that situation. She had every right to leave. Her life was in constant danger for goodness sake

JRDeep

I feel staying in a relationship where both people are miserable, and it clearly cannot be repaired, is a sin against against god. You're supposed to be happy in your relationship. If you believe we all have a soul mate that god created for us, why would you be stubborn and stick with your original decision, which was obviously the wrong one?

You have to swallow your pride sometimes. Don't hold two lives hostage for any reason.

micromachne

I feel staying in a relationship where both people are miserable, and it clearly cannot be repaired, is a sin against against god. You're supposed to be happy in your relationship. If you believe we all have a soul mate that god created for us, why would you be stubborn and stick with your original decision, which was obviously the wrong one?

You have to swallow your pride sometimes. Don't hold two lives hostage for any reason.

Sometimes, it isn't even about pride. Many of them simple are just so used to being with someone for so long that they're afraid of life in the single world again.

Victor Leigh

A marriage is a contract between two human beings. So when the terms of contract has been breached by one party or the other, then the contract is no longer valid. I don't see why a marriage which is made by human beings cannot be nullified by human beings.