Divorce and the Bible

micromachne

A marriage is a contract between two human beings. So when the terms of contract has been breached by one party or the other, then the contract is no longer valid. I don't see why a marriage which is made by human beings cannot be nullified by human beings.

Blame that way of thinking on "the bible". I totally agree with you. But the way some faithfuls make it, is that you're meant to stick to the marriage no matter how many unfaithful happenings or abuses take place.

All I can say is I'll NEVER live that way.

flfsurveyor

Marriage is a civil contract between 2 persons and divorce is the dissolution of said contract. As Christians, we should not impose our religious practices on everybody nor judge anyone on the basis of our beliefs. However, if one is a Christian, one should strive to follow Christian teachings on divorce. I believe that Christians are allowed to divorce their spouses for certain reasons BUT , divorced Christians may NOT marry again.

joeldgreat

I think legalized divorced is only applied to the laws of men. In the Bible, the only grounds for a separation is infidelity. And I think the church has its own set of rules about it. Divorce is not legalized here in my country because of the strong opposition of the church. But legal separation is acknowledge by the church for infidelity. Legal separation stated in the law would include other grounds such as emotional incapacity, abandonment, etc.

footballtim

I have seen way too many of these posts say to stay in a marriage no matter what. First of all, I do not think that religion should dictate divorce decisions as it dictates politics today. Secondly, people change. It is a fact of life. You stick with it as long as you can, especially if you have children, but for your sake as well as for your children, know when to call it quits. In many cases, more harm than good can come out of staying together. My wife grew up in an extremely dysfunctional family because her mother was extremely abusive. Her father favored her mother no matter what, and it completely ruined my wife's childhood. Of course I'm not stupid. I know that having children does complicate things when it comes to divorce.

tommymac

First and foremost, marriage is a social contract. The concept existed well before the establishment of the world's great religions and, in the United States, the insitution is recognized by the government regardless of religious affiliation. For example, you can go to a church and get married, but without a marriage license, the state won't recognize it. By contrast, you can go get a license, have a clown marry you, and, as long as it is witnessed, the state will see it as valid.

So, in my opinion, the Bible has no place in modern marriage.