Divorcing soon after getting married

FatherYoung

One of my colleagues had the misfortune to be cheated on by his wife two years after they got married. He couldn't forgive her, despite her begging him to, so they got a divorce. He won the custody for their one-year-old son.

The guy was highly affected by this, and he currently sees a psychiatrist for counseling.

Do you know any other cases of divorces occurring soon after marriage?

Blake

Unfortunately I know quite a few. My aunt got married when she was just 24 to a man who cheated on her with a prostitute just a year after they got married. He was also an alcoholic, she found. The marriage lasted about a year and 2 months. Most short marriages I've witnessed ended due to cheating.

benben

Yeah. I know 4 or 5 people who had ended up getting divorced quickly after marriage. One couple got divorced only 6 months after, only I think they called it annulled.

Salazar

I think your friend has the right idea by seeking professional help. Sadly, it's not an uncommon situation, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with when you're on the receiving end of something like that.

Jonathan

I am sorry to hear that. It has happened to a close friend of mine as well. They divorced just a year after getting married. I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that the woman is much younger than he is.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
My friends marriage lasted just about a year. From wedding to signing the papers. Sadly, same situation as your friend. She was caught cheating on him. Thankfully though, they had no kids.

I wish your friend luck. Mine finally found a great lady and have been marred 10 years no I think. It may be 9.