Do you have a pool?

Salazar

We bought an above ground pool this year. I got the thing set up during a heat wave and by the time we got the water chemistry right, the temperatures cooled off again. I'm starting to think we're never going to get to use it. On top of that, it's a money hog and I'm wondering if getting it was the right idea.

BigPapa

We don't have a pool. There are enough lakes, beaches and public pools around us that we don't need one. I would not want the expense and it takes a lot of time to maintain it.

polamalu43

We do have one but it isn't open yet. We have had so much rain and cruddy weather. We are planning on opening it this weekend. Pools do cost a lot to maintain.

olderthandirt

My kids keep asking for a pool but I don't see the point. We live across the street from the Atlantic Ocean, for crying out loud. Yes, the water is cold, but it cost way too much money and takes too much time maintaining a swimming pool so I have held out on that one.

Timothy

We don't have a swimming pool, although my wife has been crying for one for years now. We don't have the room for an in-ground pool and we don't have the money for an above-ground pool.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
We do have a pool as it came with the house. We got a lot of use out of it last year, however this year with surgeries and sickness it hasn't been used as much. But there is still plenty of time left.

Salazar

My kids keep asking for a pool but I don't see the point. We live across the street from the Atlantic Ocean, for crying out loud. Yes, the water is cold, but it cost way too much money and takes too much time maintaining a swimming pool so I have held out on that one.
That is just too darn funny!! If I lived across the street from the ocean, I would have said no to a pool, too! We do have a beautiful river about 10 minutes away that has a beach and crystal clear water, but that water is so cold this time of year. I can't really tolerate swimming there until about August.

Sinbian

With these temps I'm thinking of buying one. I don't know how long I will last in this heat without cooling down. Any advice on where to get a good one?

Salazar

With these temps I'm thinking of buying one. I don't know how long I will last in this heat without cooling down. Any advice on where to get a good one?
We got ours from Amazon. It's a 15' by 48" Intex pool and it comes with the ladder and the pump for about $250. Be warned, though, that you will end up investing an additional $200 to $500 depending on your property and the water you put in it. We had to buy a vacuum, a skimmer net, a brush, a pole, and chemicals which added up to about $200. I also had to bring in about $100 in sand to level the location where we were putting it and I donated $200 to the fire department for water. It's been a money pit.

Andersson

We had one many years ago but that was when the kids still lived at home. When we decided to move to our retirement house we decided that a pool, while it would be fun for the kids it was not something we would want to keep up with. Now if the place came with free pool maintence I would be okay with it.

On The Mark

We had one years ago with the house we were buying and it was great. This was back when our daughter was more interested in it. Now she's into other things, we've moved, and there just isn't the need anymore.