Dog smell

crowl

I hate the smell of a dog and yes I know that is kind of mean but I can not help it. I a still learning to be a dog owner. How often should I bathe him to avoid the stench?

Papa Bear

The dog smells the same no matter how often you bathe it. After a few hours the smell comes back. It is inherent in them, and nothing would take it away. They recognize through their sense of smell.

stayathomepaul

Yeah, the dog smell depends on the type of dog and the kind of oils that dogs skin secretes. I think you just have to learn to get used to it, or get a new kind of dog.

Ifamily

I didn't know that different breeds of dog smell differently; for me all dogs smell the same. And I never get used to the smell (but I like how they look, that's the problem).

Graham

I don't mind the smell so much as them shedding all over the place, that's always a pain in the backside to clean up, especially if you keep them in the house and not in the yard.

Phillie

What kind of a dog do you have? Our dog only smells when she rolls in something dead or when she is wet. Other than that I don't notice any smell from her. I could just be used to her though.

polamalu43

Animals do smell, so do people from time to time. You need to take care of your dog to stop the smell. I would say a bath at least once a month in the winter and more often in the summer.

bighelp

I have sinus issues but I never knew they had hyper-allergic dogs! Where can I sign up and get one? I wonder if people prone with normal outside allergies have similar ones for pets too?

KevinD

Wet dog is the best smell. :) No really, just use good smelling shampoos and airfreshers and things to make your place smell nice. They will always have some kind of odor, but it can be kept to a minimum. I've been to houses that stink of dog, and houses with a couple dogs that smelled nice and I didn't notice the dog smell.