Economy coming back

Michael

An article in "Bloomberg Businessweek" talks about how there are signs that the economy is coming back. I don't see it where we live. We have the highest unemployment in the state. Is it getting better in your area of the country?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Not where I live, but some say it is better, others do not. Too hard to tell I think right now. I would not be surprised with it being an election year if numbers are made out to be better then they really are.

wilson

Some places are really pushing to get more jobs going for those smaller communities that need it, I know our area is a little dim right now. I think it was either BMW or Mitsubishi that said they are rolling out a new plant which will help a little too.

ryan

It's tough to tell anything by looking at the numbers. When people give up and stop looking, it makes the official employment rate go down. Some of those people might be starting their own businesses, but that's going to be a small number percentage-wise.

Babar

It might be in a technical sense; like technically, the recession was officially over a year or so ago. I say it's not any better until conditions moderately resemble pre-2008 conditions!

Bear

I don't think the economy is coming back, and the data they use to tell us that it is has some serious flaws in it. For example, not counting all of the people that are unemployed. Even if it was making a comeback $5 per gallon case will take care of it. This article tells you why you can expect $5 gas.

Andersson

I still hear a few people talking about landing a job but not as many that I know truly need it. We are hoping a few new manufacturing plants go up for our area soon too. Right now its all talk with little action.

Michael

The rising gas prices will kill a recovery. People still have to pay for transportation costs and manufacturing costs of the goods they get. Wonder when we'll see $5. tomatoes and $25. loaves of bread?

ryan

Even if true unemployment goes down, the economy won't recover unless this inflation trend is reversed. People with jobs are still having a hard time just paying for the necessities. We'll all be planting vegetable gardens pretty soon if the prices at the grocery keep going up.

Bear

To me the prices are already high enough to warrant that, plus Walmart has announced that they will be selling GMO fruits and veggies. I can't wait to get my garden in, and have veggies that taste like something again.

Victor

I know what you mean about the veggies, Bear.

It seems like things are getting a bit better; the housing market is improving here, for instance, but it wouldn't take much to halt the slow improvement.

kreso93

I know what you mean about the veggies, Bear.

It seems like things are getting a bit better; the housing market is improving here, for instance, but it wouldn't take much to halt the slow improvement.
I wouldn't agree on this, at least not for my country. They just raised taxes to 25%, we have one of the biggest taxes in the world.