Encouraging reading.

Bearsfan

My nephew did not like to read, so I pulled out some old comic books. He loves them. He reads them out loud, making voices for the different characters. My son isn't quite 3, but will snuggle next to my nephew when he's reading the comics and is mesmerized. Now, my nephew is starting to pick up short books and read them just because. It's great to see.

Have you ever tried something a little different to encourage reading?

Lorenzo

I've always been a fan of reading, and have tried to pass this on to my children. What you did with your nephew was great! I remember, I started with comic books, too before I shifted to the "real" books. As for my kids, I or my wife, read to them every night, and this helped develop their interest in the written word.

Bearsfan

As for my kids, I or my wife, read to them every night, and this helped develop their interest in the written word.
That's something my wife and I have done with our own kids as well. But my nephew never seeemed to have the patience or attention span, and since I only see him once in a while I never really was able to help much. The comic books were a shot, and seems to have done the trick (here's hoping it sticks).

polamalu43

That is great and I'm glad your nephew is reading now. My wife and I read all the time. We have always read to our kids and with our kids. My son didn't really get interested until we started reading the Harry Potter series. I would read a page and then he would read the next page.

LeonR

I remember one particular teacher my girls had during their grade school years. She kept a huge selection of books in her classroom that students could take home. She even allowed students to check out comic books if they returned them within two days. Many a reluctant reader got hooked on books by wading into the reading pool with something easy and non-intimidating.

Sinbian

Great thing about kids is that you can fool them for just about anything if you are creative and willing enough. But I'm afraid of that moment when they will be old enough to see through me.

Andersson

I think when all of the electronic toys came out parents quickly forgot what reading was for kids. Heck sometimes kids are still too tuned into the TV instead of a good book. Books help with imagination and too many people seem to lack that now.