Ever thought of re-marrying?

flfsurveyor

When my wife died more than 10 years ago, most of my friends and relatives thought I would re-marry as soon as the period of mourning is over. After all, I have four kids to take care of. I devoted the 1st year to helping the kids deal with the loss of their mom. I felt that having another wife will get in the way of my relationship with my kids.

Later, I met a lady friend who was separated from her husband and we kind of hit it off. We kept our households separate. Today, 8 years later, we are still partners but we have never though of getting married.

I just would like to know if anyone of you single dads are contemplating marrying again, and why.

Might also help me decide if I should remarry as well.

ghanashyam

Getting remarrying for me will be much difficult to swallow and still more difficult for my children one of whom is already and the other one is aged 20 years.
For persons who have small children and keeping house in order is a problem, probably remarrying will be best option, after all there will be someone to report what is happening in the house in your absence when you are on job.

tommymac

For me, getting married again would be like putting me back in the box. I outgrew the need for it. Kiddo and I are doing fine on our own. But, maybe when she has left the nest I might consider getting married again.

footballtim

I cannot picture myself re-marrying if I lose my wife. I love her so much that I cannot picture myself loving another. My father was the same way about my mother. They were married for over 40 years. My father lived for 15 years after my mother's death, and he never entered another relationship. He was content with other agendas.

Victor Leigh

I am looking forward to marrying again. Provided that I don't end up in the same mess I did before. In my case, I don't have to worry about my children since they are all grown-up already. In fact, my children are supportive of me getting a constant companion.

youngone

I don't see any legitimate reason to remarry, I would never do it. I can't see the point in marriage, it is an outdated institution and unnecessary in the modern world. Why do we feel the need to legally bind ourselves? I don't think you need an official contract to be in a loving relationship. Save your money.

tommymac

Why do we feel the need to legally bind ourselves?
The only way I could see the need for the legal marriage is for insurance purposes or perhaps inheritance rights. I know a few anti-marriage types who took the plunge simply because one spouse had insurance and the other didn't.

Victor Leigh

The only way I could see the need for the legal marriage is for insurance purposes or perhaps inheritance rights. I know a few anti-marriage types who took the plunge simply because one spouse had insurance and the other didn't.
From the way you put it, it sounds like a marriage is all about money then. Inheritance and insurance are all about money, right? In that case, we might as well have a business contract to replace the marriage certificate.

Lorenzo

I'm not a single dad, but if ever a friends asks for an advice on marrying, I would tell him to definitely go for it if he and his girlfriend love each other, unconditionally. For me, you don't get married because of the monetary benefits or materials things that you'll gain from it, but because you want to build a one-of-a kind relationship with that special someone for life.

footballtim

There are times when single fathers should re-marry, and times when it is a bad idea. The worst time is when the person they are interested in is the wrong person for them or the child.

When a child is having their mother replaced with a step mother, it needs to be a completely devoted step mother, otherwise more damage can be done to the child than was done by whatever broke the family up in the first place.

Of course I am sure that there are men out there who were able to replace the biological mother with someone much better suited to raise a child.

daddyjay

I have considered getting remarried. I can see some possible good and bad points to re-marrying. I do want the kids to have a second loving parent in their lives. But I also worry how they would be affected since it hsa just been just us for more than 4 years now.

footballtim

I used to work for someone who made a living re-marrying. He was born in another country. He wanted to keep working in America, so he made sure he always had a wife here in America.

The problem was that he demanded that the wife was to have a lot of money. When that money would dry up, he would get a divorce and marry someone else who fit his needs. Right now he just divorced wife #4 and is working on wife #5. Oh, by the way, he claims to be a holy man.