Evil Nanny

Lorenzo

What do you guys think about Nannies? Do you have one or are you planning to hire one for your kid/s? What if the nanny turns out to be "evil" after all?

My wife found out the other day that our three-year old son's classmate was actually molested by his nanny. The parents of the child found bruises all over the child's body, on his chin, and in both of his ears. The child was traumatized as expected; with the parents filing a criminal case against the nanny. I sure wish she goes to jail for what she did.

Justadad

If we needed someone to look after our kids we asked a member of the family that we could trust, like mum or sister. We have looked after our grandchildren in the same way. If I had a non-relative doing it, I'd have CCTV set up.

Don

It could just as easily be a family member doing something to a child as a nanny. A woman I use to work with discovered that her daughter was being molested by her nephew. He was 15 and the little girl was 3.

CHenne

Wow! Crazy. If we needed a nanny (which we don't) then I would ask for references. There would be no way I would allow anyone in my home without running a criminal background check on them too. I would also install nanny cameras throughout the house.

Bear

I would never consider hiring a nanny and anytime we need someone to keep the kids my in-laws do it. My wife has a college roommate who's baby nearly died, and suffered long term brain damage from the "care" their nanny gave the baby. I just don't trust anybody!

Victor

That is horrible. I think most nannies are probably just fine, but I don't care to try them out. It's one of the reasons I decided to stay home.

BigPapa

Please don't lump nannies together into one pile that is horrible. There are good caregivers and not so great ones. Lumping them all together and saying they are bad is like saying all NFL players are womanizing creeps. It isn't true and perpetuates a horrible stereotype.

My wife has worked as a nanny off and on throughout her life and has impeccable references. People passing along stereotypes that all nannies are like the one in The Hand That Rocks The Cradle just makes it harder for the great ones to get jobs.

If you are going to hire a nanny then you should definitely do a background check, check references and interview them extensively. It isn't something to take lightly.

Lorenzo

Please don't lump nannies together into one pile that is horrible. There are good caregivers and not so great ones. Lumping them all together and saying they are bad is like saying all NFL players are womanizing creeps. It isn't true and perpetuates a horrible stereotype.
I certainly agree with you, BigPapa, about not judging all nannies as "evil." I myself grew up with a number of nannies, and I still have a good relationship with most of them until now (they come to our ancestral house every Christmas). Probably the connotation that most nannies are bad, stems from the image that the media (and even those in movies and books) has conjured up about them. The best thing to do then if you truly require a nanny's service, is to do a thorough background check, as what everyone here suggested.

Dad Brad

We have had nannies keep our children for short periods of time, and our kids loved every one of them. We like older ones and the occasional younger one who is really mature and energetic. The kids have learned and been loved by all of them. That said, we choose people who come highly recommended by people we trust to the hilt.

Endalia

We will sometimes do day care but we know the people who run it personally and actually grew up with them so we know them quite well. Otherwise, our young cousin takes care of the kids when they come in from school. She is in high school and rides the bus with them to our house.

Andersson

We never really put much stock into them really, our kids had a few sitters in their time but mostly we left them with family or close friends. We never liked the idea of leaving them with someone that did not fully get "us" and how we live along with our rules and values.

Don

Did you see on the news where the 50 year old nanny murdered two children while the mother was out shopping with the third child? It does kind of make you wonder about bringing strangers into the house.

CHenne

I believe the mom and other daughter were at dance class. Its sick! What would possess someone to do this. It really makes you wonder who you are trusting your kids with!

Lorenzo

Did you see on the news where the 50 year old nanny murdered two children while the mother was out shopping with the third child? It does kind of make you wonder about bringing strangers into the house.
That's horrible! No sane person would intentionally hurt someone, and for a Nanny to murder two kids, that says a lot about her state of mind. I wonder how long the family had that nanny with them. I hope this nanny gets what she deserves!

Bear

That particular Nanny had been with the family for three years. Supposedly she slit her own throat and wrists and has been unable to communicate because she is in critical condition.

Don

That particular Nanny had been with the family for three years. Supposedly she slit her own throat and wrists and has been unable to communicate because she is in critical condition.
She apparently has just been brought out of an induced coma. She was supposedly asking about either her family or the family. I wonder if she remembers what she did.