Family not as close anymore

Strongarm

My family lives in 3 different states. By that I mean, my mother in one, my father in one, and one of my brothers in another. So, I'm talking about actual blood. With my brothers we can go a long time without talking and when we do or get together we pick up where we left off with no guilt trips. My mother isn't really demanding either. But my father is a different story.

I'm a very busy person and I work more than a full-time job. I balance that with my fun time and my love life. I don't always feel like talking to my father or driving an hour and a half to see him, so if I don't call him for more than a few days, I get the same old guilt trip always. He doesn't seem to understand that he can call me too. I don't get why he is like that, but it annoys me sometimes.

Independent

My mother is like that. She complains a lot if we don't call her or come see her, but she makes little effort. She works 40 hours a week and that is pretty much it. I think she must have forgotten what it is like to raise a family.

crowl

Family needs to accept that when kids leave home that can very well mean another state. I have the same issue with a sister who lives 10 hours away through 4 states and she still razzes me for not visiting monthly.