Father Getting Custody

greatdad

My friend's son's ex-girlfriend is pregnant. He thinks he is the father, but he found out she was cheating, so he's not sure. If it is his child, he wants to get custody. He has a good job and his own place. What should he do to have the best chance of getting custody when the child is born?

Richie

Sorry to say this but unless she is willing to agree to this, or is obviously incompetent as a parent I think it's unlikely the guy would be awarded custody. It's not particularly fair but seems to be the way it goes.

stewy

I'm thinking that the first thing he needs to do is request a DNA test to establish paternity. Otherwise he could end up paying maintenance for someone else's child. Once he is proven to be the father he would then have a right to joint custody at least.

HappyMan

Why would he want to take the child completely away from its mother? That's cruel. Kids need both parents, not just one, and he should be working to enable the child to have contact with both, not exclude mom.

CoolFather

If the paternity test proves he is the father, he should try to have a serious talk with his ex-girlfriend, before doing anything out of anger (like starting a lawsuit for child custody). Maybe they can settle something out without dispute; the mother may agree to joint custody, but I doubt she is willing to give up her baby.