Feminine

TJoel

Does being a homemaker make you a bit 'feminine', whatever it means? You know you have to do (wo)manly stuff like taking care of the kids and the like.

Paul

No, I don't think so at all. I think that if anything, it makes you more "human". There is no reason in the world that the male of the species cannot contribute in the realm of nurturing.

Pascallist

I agree with Paul that both men and women can take the nurturing role of parents. Even for some species in the wild, it is the males that nurture the children.

Last edited:

RubberSoul

I agree as well. Besides, if anyone things you are "feminine" or feels that homemaker duties are beneath men then it is their problem and not yours. You do what you feel is right for you and your family. Other people don't really matter.

encryptedbytes

Not at all. Taking care of your children and making a good home for them isn't womanly or feminine - it's being a parent and providing what your children need. You're not doing a woman's job, you're doing a parent's job.

Timothy

Children need both parents, male and female, so raising a child isn't a feminine trait. In past generations, it was TRADITION for the woman to stay at home and the man to go to work, but traditions change with time and now, that isn't the case. As long as you're doing what works for your family, that's all that matters.

Lieutenant

I don't think so. I think housework should be a shared responsibility anyways so it shouldn't be designated as a male (masculine) or female (feminine). I especially believe this to be true with modern society and the equal rights. While some states are moving in reverse with equal human rights (man vs. woman) I think as a whole we are making progress.

siddh

I think a man might start feeling a little feminine if he stays home nurturing kids and doing other duties that normally a wife does. If the neighborhood has more women than men then he also might get attention from them as a friendly gesture.What i mean is the mothers next door might want to help him in his duties. Their company may result in more of a feminine thinking patterns in a male.

Victor Leigh

No, I don't believe that cooking and changing diapers make a man any less a man. Maybe it's because of the way my mother taught me about work in the kitchen. She always said that a man must learn to cook. Otherwise he will be hungry when his wife goes on strike. I have passed this gem on to all my sons, too.

Victor

No, I don't believe that cooking and changing diapers make a man any less a man. Maybe it's because of the way my mother taught me about work in the kitchen. She always said that a man must learn to cook. Otherwise he will be hungry when his wife goes on strike. I have passed this gem on to all my sons, too.
Haha, that is hilarious! To answer the original question, I don't feel more feminine for taking care of my own children. I feel very fortunate and just as much a man as ever.

Bobby

No, not at all. In fact, it takes a real man to do things like that and not feel embarrassed by it. Hey, they're our kids too. Why shouldn't we do everything for them like our wives do?

meowcow

It all depends on how you attack the task at hand. You can be a masculine role model for your child even if performing tasks that are supposedly more for women. Just treat it like you would any other job - objectively. You can personalize your tasks to better fit your personality, and soon enough you will not see it as feminine anymore and won't have to worry about it. :)