"For the sake of the children"

Mack

It seems years ago there was more of a tendency for married people with children whose marraiges had failed to stay together "for the sake of the children". Do you think it's still true?

TwinPeaks

I don't think so. People are much more selfish today. They all forgot the meaning of sacrifice, especially for their loved ones. It's a shame really.

greatdad

No way! Many people today treat marriage like it's a disposable thing. If they become unhappy or there's a problem, they divorce without considering what it will do to the kids. Selfishness has replaced commitment and kids suffer because of it.

Mack

That's the trend I've noticed too. In some ways, the current trend is more "authentic" and truthful, but I wonder if couples give up too easily now. Of course there are those situations that are truly irreconcilable.

DriverDan

I think if things get to a point where the environment and relationship is so toxic, that everyone is miserable, then a divorce might be what is neccessary. I would hope that most people would try and work on their issues before resorting to a divorce.