Getting the kids to eat thier veggies.

DriverDan

Lately our youngest has really been fighting us when it comes to eating his veggies. This is something recent as he really was never a picky eater. Any suggestions on how to get him to eat his vegetables?

danno

You could do what my ex wife used to do with our son. She disguised vegetables by mixing them in with things that we knew he liked. She made carrot cake and beetroot cake and he didn't even know he was eating vegetables!

Cruise

That's great idea Danno. I love carrot cake and I think kids also like it. What about giving the kid vegetable juice? You can use sweet fruits and vegetables to make the juice, and add honey if he likes it.

Johnny

That's a wonderful idea. You can mix the juice idea up with making smoothies. You can put some really interesting stuff in smoothies and depending on what fruits you use, you can hide just about anything in there. It works wonders. There are also special vitamins you can use like gummy vitamins or the Flintstones kind.

William

I also hate eating vegetables when I was a kid. But my mom is a good cook and she would cook vegetables in a way that it looks good to eat. I guess the presentation of the food will help in getting the kids eat vegetables.

AbsDad

I disagree with hiding veg. The kids need to learn to accept the food that they are given, not bribed-and eating carrots in a cake won't help them in the long run.

My step daughter was eating healthy from birth and that hasn't changed. She loves her veg. Some things we find work;

1, Involve kids in the preparation. They are more likely to try something they helped make. Even little ones can throw veg in a pot of cold water.
2, Eat a variety of colors-it makes it more attractive.
3, Make faces in food, anything to engage the child.
4, Offer new foods often. Don't make a big deal of it if they won't eat it, but do remember that till they try a bite they cannot dislike it. Our rule is one bite-then you can refuse. Do that often enough and they will accept. It takes up to 15 exposures for a kid to accept a new food.

Keep trying, kids need healthy food.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
The wife makes my daughter sit at the table until she eats a reasonable amount of her food. Some days we cannot feed her enough, other days she will not eat anything.

Restless

You're the boss of your kids not the other way around. Don't try to find the ways just be persistent and children will cave after some time.

William

You're the boss of your kids not the other way around. Don't try to find the ways just be persistent and children will cave after some time.
This could be the case but some children will become rebellious if you treat them this way. I have this feeling with my dad when I was still a kid because of so many "don't do" stuffs. I believe that patience and constant encourage will do the trick in helping the kids eat their vegetables.

Aaron

My children will eat anything that is put in front of them so I am lucky in that respect. If my son is fighting with something or 'doesn't feel like eating it" I tell him that he has no snack, and that usually quickens his pace.