Getting your exercise in

Miller

For those dads who are keeping the kids at home during these hot summer days, how are you getting your workouts? I'm home for a few weeks, but it's too hot to do much outside. Taking three kids (or more) for a run or a jog in this heat is impossible. Maybe we'll just hit the pool circuit.

HappyDad

The only way I've been able to get in a workout is to wake up before everyone else is up. That means the alarm goes off at 5 and I'm in the family room working out.

polamalu43

Perhaps you can workout late at night when your wife is home? Or you might have to invest in some home equipment. You could also join the YMCA and take the kids - it's air conditioned.

BigPapa

I have a home gym and my daughter loves being my workout partner. She gets all of her exercise gear on and tries to follow along with what I am doing. We also are lucky enough to have a pond out front and we take the pedal boat out whenever we can.

meowcow

We own a stair master in our household, so I usually just use that to get some cardio done. As for everything else, I always do push ups, lunges and sit-ups whenever I have a few minutes free or if I am idle. It might seem like too little, but it does contribute a lot if you count how many push ups you were able to do in a month or two. On hot days, though, nothing is better for me than swimming like you mentioned.

klarawoodenjr

I usually go out as early as 3:30 am in the morning just to have an exercise. But during weekends I go out with my friends to have a basketball. I often bring the kids to play with the other kids.

dreyz

I exercise in the evenings on weekends. I don't like waking up very early just to exercise as it might affect my sleeping pattern. I don't exercise much on weekdays but I'll take it as if that the work around the office is enough to get some calories burning.

Babar

This is why it's important to invest in some home equipment of some kind. You can have the kids watch a movie while you lift dumbbells or run on a treadmill.

Don

I confess my actual exercise routine usually falls apart during the summer. I do play baseball so I'm not completely inactive, but I probably won't start running again until it gets cooler.

Michael

We've been doing a lot of swimming since the weather got hot. My daughter would rather swim than do just about anything else. We're lucky to have access to a number of pools, so swimming it is.

Kyp

I work all day, when I get home sometimes I will go outside and throw a ball around with my son. By that time, it's normally not too terribly hot outside & I get a little bonding time with my son. Sometimes, my wife and I will go for a walk around dusk as well.

Also, on the weekends, I wake up early and go for a long walk. I've done it for years, and will continue to do it for as long as I can.

Foster

My kids are only young so don't interfere with me exercising although I do use the word lightly since the extent I go to is going for a run with the dog twice a day.

Bryant

I have been walking a couple of miles once or twice a day even though it has been outrageously hot. In the evenings my wife and kids come with me, and in the early mornings I go on my own.

JRDeep

Basketball is the current obsession of me and my son. He gets mad because I expose him all day long by playing defense. Told the little brat I wouldn't hold back, or let him get easy buckets. I figure, why not destroy him now while he's young? I know at some point, I'll be the one getting my own shot blocked back in my face. It's just how things seem to go down overtime.

Isabellas2007

I get my work outs in with my kids. For example we will go on nature hikes to the park. Then if we are lifting weights I will give them a little five pound weight and they will watch while I do my heavier weights.