Good knives make all the difference

Bear

I had to buy a student knife kit as part of my culinary program and it may have been a wallop to my wallet, but they are worth their weight in gold. We used them in class Tuesday to debone a fully frozen chicken breast and it was like cutting through butter! Now I have to get in the kitchen with them and practice my julienne, fine julienne, batonnet, and my fine, medium, and large dice for my knife skills test next week. :eek:

Watching those guys do it on tv it looks so easy. Then watch a professional do it in person and see how far you have to go!

Don

What brand did you get? Our neighbor use to be a chef and he has a set that could probably cut through a metal can!

Foster

I have 2 sets one from my student days and the ones I use now. I know what you mean about the cost but they are a very worthwhile investment. I could never go back to a cheap set of knives now.

ghanashyam

Branded knives make great difference. Here some brand names in kitchen ware like ANJALI have quality products. Sharp knives are easy and time saving in kitchen especially when you are preparing sandwiches.

Victor

I could really use some good knives. Ours are ok, but not great, and they are very dull these days. I suppose I should dig up my sharpener and take care of that.

Good luck on your knife skills test!

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I have one nice knife, a Global. Some people find it a little light, but when I'm doing a lot of cutting it is nice. I wish I could afford some more, but all in time.

I do get upset with the wife when she leaves it in the sink though.

Miller

We do try to have our knives professionally sharpened at least once a year. I use one of those stones on them at other times. I don't know to begin to buy a really great knife.

footballtim

Good knives are a necessity in the kitchen. Years ago, my wife insisted that we get a new set of knives. It made all the difference in the world.

That was fine then, but since then, she has been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, and I do not want her touching ANY knives. She has become way too clumsy.

Foster

@jason My knives never go in the sink, having said that my wife doesn't really use my knives.

@Miller buying a great knife depends on how much you have to spend on a good knife.

If you have the money to spend then you should buy a set of Henkel knives.

erin

Good knives are important. I remember when I was working part-time at a catering company using their knives was my favorite part. It was so sad to go home to my run-of-the-mill knives.

FrankSinatra

We have a lot of Calphalon products that we got as wedding gifts and I love them all. They are really incredibly high quality products that never fail. We have a knife set and pots and pans and I wouldn't ask for any others.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
@jason My knives never go in the sink, having said that my wife doesn't really use my knives.
Yeah, I do not put them in there either, nor the dish washer. I try and wash it ASAP with a good stiff brush. The wife feels differently though.

Same thing with the cast iron I use too. I try and wash it shortly after use. The wife will let stuff sit in it until I clean it sometimes. Drives me nuts.

youngone

I think investing in a set of high quality knives if worth it in the long term because you will not be replacing the knives every few years. A good set of knives should last for decades, assuming you treat the knives with care.

How much did you pay and what is the brand?

Foster

Mine are Rockingham Forge and cost me £200, they have a lifetime warranty so assuming I don't break them they will be replaced.