Green snot!

polamalu43

Seriously I am blowing out green snot! Is that a sign of infection or just a cold? I have not scheduled an appointment yet but I think I might. Anyone else sick? What do you have?

daddyjay

I have heard mixed things on this. Some doctors say that the color does not really tell whether it is an infection or not. There are some doctors who say this means you have a sinus infection or something of that nature.

polamalu43

I have heard mixed reviews too. Odd, you would think it meant one thing or another. My head is much clearer this morning so maybe the Mucinex is working. I hate being sick, especially over a weekend. I was.sick last weekend so I refuse to be sick this weekend.

Andersson

From personal experience only I would go with a sinus infection, keep drinking water and clearing it out as best you can. Hot showers are a true blessing, if we did not pay out the nose for our water services around here I would take a steam shower every day!

Bear

Green is usually an indication of an infection of some kind. Clear or a little bit yellow is usually just allergies or a cold. I hope that you get to feeling better Polamulu. We are fighting off some kind of stomach bug around here.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
For a second I thought this was about kids. With my sons cleft issue he gets all colors. Tonight's was blue as he ate some blue Italian ice. He has had all colors in the rainbow or a box of crayons.

I'm also bad with my allergies. Mine will turn green during heavy pollen times. Enzymes contain iron which gives off a greenish color. The longer the mucus is in your sinuses the more likely it is to be green. That is why your morning blowing will be green.

Now granted I am not a doctor, if you feel a visit is needed by all means go. What I know is through my own research and asking a doctor or two.

A side note, what a few doctors have told me is that an antibiotic for minor infections will do nothing against the virus. They told me Sudafed would work much better. But again, take it how you will and if you feel the need to visit do so.

Christian

Have you ever tried a Netti pot? I resisted it even though my wife kept bringing it up during allergy season. Once I tried it though it really did help so you might want to consider it.

polamalu43

I did not go to the doctor and it cleared up! :) It took a bit of time but I finally feel human again. I wouldn't try a Netti pot - I would probably snort the water up into my brain!

Victor

I'm glad you are feeling better. I tried a neti pot before but I must have been doing something wrong because I felt worse afterwards.

Bearsfan

Plus, with a sinus infection you would have a serious and long lasting headache. I had one a couple years back and was miserable. I usually will only go to the doctor if I'm running a fever for a couple days, or if my symptoms last more than a week.

polamalu43

I had a terrible sinus headache too when I felt awful. No fever though! My daughter is now sick. I think my wife is going to take her to After Hours (clinic).

Don

I'm glad your sinus problem cleared up. In answer to your original question, my wife gets sinus infections a lot and I can tell you that the odder the color, the worse the infection.

Gavin

Seriously I am blowing out green snot!
Thank you for sharing that. LOL

Really though, I always thought it was green. Not that I've ever paid close attention. Whatever color you're not used to seeing though is probably an indication that something is wrong. That's the way I look at it.