Guns and Kids

Timothy

My wife and I have two guns in our household. Currently, we don't know if either are safe to fire, so we have no bullets for them and they're locked away in a toolbox, out of sight and out of mind. However, we plan on having both guns inspected and if necessary, repaired so that they will fire safely/properly. After that, my wife wants them kept in a location in the house that is easily accessible, in the case of a break in. Once we having working, loaded firearms in the house, what can we do to keep our son safe from accidents?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
First I would teach the child about gun safety. Depending on how old he is maybe get him a BB Gun that he can use under supervision. Teach them how to properly handle a gun, including the little things like do not put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire to how and when to shoot.

Second I would keep it either locked up or buy a trigger lock. Master Lock 90TSPT Keyed-Alike Trigger Locks, Two-Pack - Amazon.com

A little more money is this small pistol gun safe.
Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe - Amazon.com

Zimmer

If you plan to have guns in the house, than educating your children about them is a must. And just to be on the safe side, I'd invest in a pistol safe. I think that would be less hassle than a trigger lock, if you do have to use them in a pinch.

Timothy

Jason, thanks for the advice, and thanks for the links. I'll have to buy a lock for one of the guns, because it's actually a rifle, but I think I'll buy the safe for the handgun we have. That's the one the wife wants nearby in a pinch, anyway.

polamalu43

Of course you have to also keep the bullets in a different location and never leave the guns loaded. That is a must. I remember growing up with guns in our house. My dad kept them in his bedroom. I knew where they were if I needed to use one (once I became a teenager).

Jack

I think it's important that you not glamorize guns. Children are very impressionable, so it is important that you role model proper respect for gun safety at all times.

Andersson

Since our kids are now grown we do not have to worry. Years ago though it was another story. I ended up building a lock box that was custom to our bedroom closet (it took up the shelf area that most bedroom closets have). I ended up encasing it with locks to make sure that our own could be kept away from the kids, locked and trigger guarded, while still loaded). The only reason we kept them loaded is we lived outside of the city area and for the last ten years before the kids moved out I worked nights, so the family was home alone then.

Don

We keep our guns locked up, but we also have talked to both of our children about guns. I taught my daughter how to use a BB gun when she was about 10 years old because she wanted to learn.

Andersson

Many stores are now doing deals where if you purchase a gun, they will discount the training for both adults and children. You might want to look into this if your kids are over the five year mark, I think that is the age when most instructors recommend for kids.

BigPapa

I don't like the idea of guns in the house, especially if you have small children. If you are going to do it, make sure you are safe about it. Keep it locked up and make sure to educate your kids on safety.

Sinbian

First I would teach the child about gun safety. Depending on how old he is maybe get him a BB Gun that he can use under supervision. Teach them how to properly handle a gun, including the little things like do not put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire to how and when to shoot.
I think there is the main catch, if kid is educated and you know you can trust it than OK. For example I wouldn't trust my oldest one because in spite of rigorous education it still has a sloppy attitude when it comes to safety.

Salazar

As the other here have said, education is the key. I grew up with guns in the house back in the day when most people didn't lock them up. I'm not saying that's a good idea, but my dad talked to me often about gun safety and I knew not to touch them. Obviously, a safe is a worthy investment, but there must also be discussions and education about guns.