High price of snacks

John

We used to keep lots of snacks around the house just in case. Now that everything is so expensive, it's hard to find even a bag of potato chips. If you do, it's almost empty before we even open it. Can you believe how little is in packages these days and how much they cost?

Bearsfan

We cut way back on snacks and sweets a few years ago when grocery prices went up across the board. Now we'll really only buy something when we catch a good sale or are having people to the house.

Andersson

I was at Family Dollar the other day and those smaller bags of chips that you can fit into a lunch pail, those were a buck. I could not believe it, and the larger bags that are medium size were about five bucks. I would hate to imagine the price of the large "Family Packs".

BigPapa

I only buy chips if they are on sale or if I have a coupon. At $4-$5 a bag, who can afford it anymore. We have a limited selection most of the time now because of the high cost of everything. We all had to adjust.

Sinbian

I can't believe those 1 oz packages. I don't know what are those manufacturers thinking?! But we barely eat snacks anyway so it's easier for us to cut back on them.

John

Our home is the gathering place for all the family, too. They have come to expect us to have all the snacks and stuff on hand, thinking we can "afford" to do so. It's gotten so expensive to live up to everyone's expectations that we've cut back on having family groups over. That just doesn't sound right, and yes, I know I should just come out and ask people to bring something to snack on.

Salazar

My wife doesn't buy any good snacks, so I have to get (sneak) them from convenience stores when I'm driving around for work. It's ridiculous how much a little bag of chips costs, but I pay it because once in a while I feel like having something like that.

Timothy

We used to keep boxes of Little Debbie snack cakes and bags of potato chips in the house all the time, along with all other kinds of junk food. Once prices started going up though, we started nixing the junk food, little by little. Now we don't even go down the chips/cookies aisle at all anymore. Who wants to pay $4 or $5 for a half a bag (at best) of Doritos?!

On The Mark

Can you believe how little is in packages these days and how much they cost?
I know, right? It's as if the price of air went up. This is why I take out my deep fryer every now and then and just make my own chips. You get more bang for your buck that way.

olderthandirt

It's definitely much cheaper to make your own treats, if you feel you need them. It's also much healthier. I understand wanting a bag of chips on occasion, but remember, there isn't anything but empty calories, too much fat and far too much salt in those bags. Americans have become addicted to salt and sugar - no wonder obesity is at epidemic levels.

Andersson

The older we get the fewer snacks we get which is a good thing. The killer for us now are nut prices, cashews are right up there and they are also my favorite. I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing that the price of cashews is higher than the price of gasoline.

Chrisitan

We started baking cakes and popping popcorn instead of buying snack cakes and chips. We do have a bakery store which has short date snack cakes for 50 cents a piece but we have even stopped doing that. I've found the kids like our baking better anyway.