"Hitting" Toddler

Lorenzo

My little boy looks like an angel, but when he is in one of his tantrums, he hits anyone and anything he comes in contact with. His brother and sisters are all cautious not to hit him back when he's in the striking mode, but there are times when they couldn't help it, especially when the hitting gets painful. My wife usually just talks to my little one about it, but once or twice, I actually lost my temper and screamed at him.

Victor

Toddlers can be so frustrating, can't they? I've lost it and yelled at my toddler before too. It doesn't do any good and I know it, but sometimes they just push the wrong buttons.

Timothy

It's one thing for a toddler to have a temper tantrum but I don't think it's normal for the tantrum to escalate to physical violence unless the child is seeing/experiencing violence firsthand, or has anger issues. Either way, I think you should consider taking him to a doctor. You're gonna need to get a handle on this now before he outgrows you and your wife.

Andersson

Part of being a parent is having at least one moment when you are frustrated and I know many have been there before, myself included. Remember that being loud does nothing to help them get the idea to sink in. It will take practice but I am sure you will get the hang of it, just remember quiet before loud.

Scooter

I am with Timothy, my partner says that her oldest was like that as a toddler, and now he is having all kinds of problems and needs to start therapy. I am going to go check some books out from the library about behavior. You might want to do the same.

meowcow

This is a very stressful stage for both children and parents. I had this phase when I was at that age and I remember the headaches I caused. Now I see it as an adult, I feel a lot worse for it. From my point of view though, as a child, it was just more about frustration and my lack of ways to be able to express myself. I suggest enrolling him in some classes of his choice so he can have an outlet for all the new emotions he is beginning to feel. I never got this chance and I feel it could have done me loads better as a child, I really wish I had this.

kreso93

Well, you can't talk him out of it, so punish him for that. Like, buy your other children a chocolate and candy, and don't give him to him when he goes in that "striking mode" you said. That's what my parents did with my little brother, and it worked.

joeldgreat

It's one thing for a toddler to have a temper tantrum but I don't think it's normal for the tantrum to escalate to physical violence unless the child is seeing/experiencing violence firsthand, or has anger issues. Either way, I think you should consider taking him to a doctor. You're gonna need to get a handle on this now before he outgrows you and your wife.
I agree with Timothy. We know that having a toddler is the worst and best part of being a parent. As they are beginning to explore their environment and beginning to learn the lessons of life, it is also the time were they needed all the attention of us parents. I think that your child is acting beyond normal (speaking of the physical violence he is manifesting right now) and I urge you to consult the experts about it.

collin

Take a stand...

Hitting is never right, and should NEVER be accepted. you have to make it clear in no uncertain terms to your children that hitting shall not, and will not ever be tolerated. if you do not make it clear right way, you will have kids that grow up to hit wives etc and maybe get into fights etc. Any decent psychologist will tell you this, and if you do not know how to stop it without screaming, there are classes for parents that need help.

Tie outs, with stern talk should do the job...and with unruly children who refuse to listen, you need to show those type children that you will outlast them, no matter how much patience that takes...an you will win no matter what.

When you become a parent you take on an awesome responsibility to be willing to do whatever is right, no matter how much that demands from you, so be willing to put in a tremendous amount of effort to assure that your children know right from wrong, and the consequences...right from day one. The longer you wait to do this, the harder it will be to break them of horrible habits that can lead to terrible consequences like jail and loss of loved ones later.

The time to address this is NOW.