How do you heat your home?

polamalu43

I have a lot of friends that keep complaining about the cost of propane or fuel oil. I don't heat with either as a major source. We heat with a wood stove first and then a propane heater.

What do you heat with?

Victor

Well I live in Florida so I don't use my heater very often. It's electric powered. When I lived up north, the heater was electric too. I never heard of using fuel oil or propane until I was an adult.

Babar

Utilities are included where we live, but even if they weren't, feeling comfortable in my own house is not something I skimp on. I'd rather pay a deal extra than live like the lady who keeps her house at 65 degrees.

wilson

I wish the utilities were included here, we use electric here and lately the price has been crazy. I guess with everything else going up in prices this was the last one that made us cringe a bit.

Salazar

I'm in Louisiana where everything is electric. I have a fireplace with a blower, but I don't use it very often. When I lived in the northeast, I had oil heat. I'm very happy that I don't have that bill anymore!

polamalu43

I never even thought about people who live in warm states! Too funny... You must have to use the heater at some point though.

Ouch Wilson - electric heat... that sounds expensive too. Salazar - no kidding the little we purchase is a big enough bill to get me cutting wood.

ryan

We use a combination of gas and electric. There are a couple of electric space heaters that help us save on heating the whole house. The heating bill isn't that bad especially this year with the milder winter we've had. It's the AC in the summer that gets us.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you live in a rare neighborhood here, like my brother who has natural gas ran through his area, it is electric. Thankfully it does not get real cold in Florida. A few times I had the fire place going, but that mostly warms the down stairs area some, and typically only that room.

Michael

We use electric but I supplement it with small space heaters in the key living areas when it gets really cold. We keep the heat down in the bedrooms where we can climb under the covers and warm up quickly.

Bobby

We have a forced air natural gas furnace. Before the gas line was run down our road, we had to use electric heat as a back-up when we weren't able to keep the wood stove going. Talk about a huge expense.

polamalu43

I'm pretty lucky it seems. Yes we have to cut and stack wood but I like to do this. I have some friends who use those propane heaters to supplement their heat. I don't like the smell of those.