How much rich is your English language?

ghanashyam

Though I have an excellent knowledge of English as a language, my knowledge of grammar is average. But I was surprised to know while I was talking to a MBA student and I mentioned something like " layman" and the MBA student asked me whether layman is name like Bradman.
The next thing I did was to ask him from which school he graduated.

youngone

I think this thread is rather ironic considering you post in broken English. This forum is based in the USA and most of its members speak American/English.

'How much rich' is not even proper English...

R. Paradon

True enough but he speaks better English than I do Hindi. I respect him for his attempt in communication but he is a real "butthead" when it comes to adding a link to one of his outrageous statements. He just does not bother.

Justadad

I'm British and sometimes I despair when I hear the youth of today speaking. They claim to be speaking English but often I don't understand them at all! There is at least some excuse for someone whose first language isn't English.

Jatelo2

Many don't know grammar, let alone the sentence structure. I consider my English good though not perfect!

FrankSinatra

True enough but he speaks better English than I do Hindi. I respect him for his attempt in communication but he is a real "butthead" when it comes to adding a link to one of his outrageous statements. He just does not bother.
That isn't the point...you aren't posting in Hindi and speaking about other peoples' lack of grammar and English language skills. I am bilingual and know I don't speak my other language with 100% accuracy but I also wouldn't be posting some nonsense like this in Italian; especially if it wasn't proper...how much rich; really?

youngone

I'm British and sometimes I despair when I hear the youth of today speaking. They claim to be speaking English but often I don't understand them at all! There is at least some excuse for someone whose first language isn't English.
It is a sad state of affairs. Making up your own words and not pronouncing your words properly is seen as 'cool'. Hearing them speak makes you wonder about the standard of English language education at our schools.

R. Paradon

That isn't the point...you aren't posting in Hindi and speaking about other peoples' lack of grammar and English language skills. I am bilingual and know I don't speak my other language with 100% accuracy but I also wouldn't be posting some nonsense like this in Italian; especially if it wasn't proper...how much rich; really?
I fully understand what you are saying! I am an American and have taught ESL in several countries as well as for a "Head Start" styled program. At present I have been residing in Thailand for five years and I am the first person to admit that I can not read or write and even if I had the ability my Thai grammar sucks big time. I can get by but it would take a lot of audacity for me to say that "My Thai is rich!" LOL I do not like mr. ghanashyam (as he well knows) because many of the posts he creates are utter nonsense and he seems to be somewhat of a narcissistic as he refuses to add a link to prove what he is saying, but he is trying...something.

ghanashyam

I fully understand what you are saying! I am an American and have taught ESL in several countries as well as for a "Head Start" styled program. At present I have been residing in Thailand for five years and I am the first person to admit that I can not read or write and even if I had the ability my Thai grammar sucks big time. I can get by but it would take a lot of audacity for me to say that "My Thai is rich!" LOL I do not like mr. ghanashyam (as he well knows) because many of the posts he creates are utter nonsense and he seems to be somewhat of a narcissistic as he refuses to add a link to prove what he is saying, but he is trying...something.
You will like this link: It is a quote by G.B. SHAW
Quote by George Bernard Shaw: I have defined the hundred per cent American as...

Come on man, keep smiling and take the others with a smile.

Last edited:

youngone

You will like this link: It is a quote by G.B. SHAW
Quote by George Bernard Shaw: I have defined the hundred per cent American as...

That is a really stupid quote. How can one's level of intelligence be defined by nationality? That's like me saying all Indians are inherently stupid and weak, it's ridiculous. Anti-Americanism is bogus, you shouldn't confuse the American people with the actions of the government and the military.

R. Paradon

I am smiling ghanashyam! Not because of the quote but because you finally gave me a link! And for that I say thanks...Perhaps in our next life we can be friends! :p

Shaw, although was a Nobel prize winner did not seem to like much of anything so I imagine he was just having an anti-American day when he quote out that gem! I am too new at this site to give you a url but will pm if you like.

But he did seem to like India! "The Indian way of life provides the vision of the natural, real way of life. We veil ourselves with unnatural masks. On the face of India are the tender expressions which carry the mark of the Creator's hand."

joeldgreat

English is like the second or third language here in my country. First, we have the native regional language, then we have the national language and then the last is English which is the international language. The good thing is that in school, major subjects such as Science and Math were taught in English. And we also have an English subject itself. English is being taught since the start of a child's school. But, not matter how good people think they are, still there will be lots of errors in the grammar structure. I also admit, that up to now, my English proficiency is below average and still trying to study the subject.