How much to spend

Donald

I know my wife and I are guilty of spending too much money on our grandchild. He has always had the latest toy, and now he even has an iPad, although I'm not buying the new one for him. He's only thirteen. How overboard do other grandparents go? It's good that we didn't have a ton of grandchildren.

polamalu43

My parents are really great with not spoiling our kids. Sure they buy them gifts, but they don't spend too much money. They did not spoil me either when I was growing up.

Andersson

We have our own spoil moments and sometimes its our kids, their kids or even us. We are thankful after many years of practice that we limit when we spoil and why. The most recent was a small but pricy gift for our daughter in law after receiving her Doctrine.

kreso93

Well, ease up on the gifts. Buy him something for special occasions or achievements, but don't do it just cause you felt like it or because of love. He has to learn that money doesn't grows on trees.

Clay

My grandma bought my son a Toshiba Thrive tablet yesterday, for his seventh birthday. I am so jealous! :) He also gets a new toy every time he goes to her house. My son is so spoiled!

kreso93

My grandma bought my son a Toshiba Thrive tablet yesterday, for his seventh birthday. I am so jealous! :) He also gets a new toy every time he goes to her house. My son is so spoiled!
A tablet for 7th birthday? When I was a kid, I got toys and candy, not tech stuff lol

sreekumar

prestigious possessions of valuable gifts you often give him are likely to make him proud among his friends and his motives develop to obtain cheap popularity. There is every likely hood that such a child lag behind in studies and fall in wrong company. Most important of all is that he should learn to handle costly utilities before owning them.

Lieutenant

I am not a grandparent but I say do what you feel comfortable with. That child is lucky to have grandparents that care for him. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but you get to spoil the grandchildren; that is part of being a grandparent.

Victor Leigh

No, I don't spend too much on my children or my grandchildren. Mainly because I came from a poor family myself and I find that not having enough when a child has motivated me to study harder in school and work harder when I left school. So far this recipe for success is working with my children. I hope my children will continue the tradition with their own children.

Jonathan

I haven't reached the stage yet. It's still a long way to go for my children to start their own family and give us grandchildren. Though, I can imagine how hard it is not to spoil your grandchildren with gifts.

Kina

My parents buy my two oldest what ever they want, and it really bothers me sometimes. They got 4 wheelers last year, then dirtbikes. They get paintball guns, iPods, etc... They know all they have to do is ask Poppi when they want something.

Not to mention during the summer and when they are out of school they get to go to Carowinds (local amusement park in Charlotte NC) every Monday with my mother.

Last edited:

meowcow

I'm not a grandparent yet, but to speak from my experience as a grandson in my family, I would say I was spoiled just enough by my grandparents and things turned out pretty okay. I would imagine it is hard to keep your emotions from trying to show love by buying gifts frequently, but everything in moderation is okay.

If you do feel that you are giving too much, just consider some alternatives instead. Our grandparents and extended family would sometimes give gifts in the form of chipping in some amount into our college funds. A nice alternative gift idea could also be for an 18th birthday car fund or some amount towards it. I know I would have been pretty lucky to have a nice car when I was 18. :) You cal also try offering him to work or do some chores in exchange for the stuff, our family always used this to teach us discipline and at the same time, we were able to get what we wanted. :)

makingloot

We have our own spoil moments and sometimes its our kids, their kids or even us. We are thankful after many years of practice that we limit when we spoil and why. The most recent was a small but pricy gift for our daughter in law after receiving her Doctrine. Well, ease up on the gifts. Buy him something for special occasions or achievements, but don't do it just cause you felt like it or because of love. He has to learn that money doesn't grows on trees.

JRDeep

I managed to zap all or most of my parents funds when I was growing up. They spoiled me to death, and don't spend as much money on gifts on their grandchildren.

I actually get the feeling that they like my kids more than they like me sometimes though. I was a bit of a little jerk growing up. Maybe it's justified...lol

flfsurveyor

My grandchildren are now 9, 5 and 1. The 9 and 5, who are siblings got a tablet for Christmas to share and some other small gifts for themselves. The little toddler got stuffed toys for her birthday last 4th of July. I don't subscribe to the idea of grandparents giving more than the parents do. So, probably $50 per for birthday and $25 for Christmas.

BigPapa

Our parents don't go overboard, but then again we wouldn't let them. They know the limits and respect them. I couldn't imagine them buying my daughter a tablet or an iPad just because or even for a special occasion.

Babar

Well you said you won't be buying the updated version of the iPad, which shows you have some limits. I think "spoiling" is only an issue if it negatively affects the child and is done on an extreme level.