If you could chose?

Bishop

Would you rather your child be good at sports or excel academically? I think I'd prefer the later since it would open up more opportunities in life for him and would benefit him more in the long term.

Sportsfanatic

Why can't they have both? I mean if you're talking about excelling to the point of playing pro ball, of course I'd want that for a son. He may not need to know all about the different subjects in school, but I'd want him to learn about dealing with money and managing it. I'd want him to learn about business and dealing with people too. Being good at school doesn't matter if you don't know anything about how the world works and how to go out and produce a great income. You can have both of those choices though.

Zimmer

Why can't they have both? I mean if you're talking about excelling to the point of playing pro ball, of course I'd want that for a son. He may not need to know all about the different subjects in school, but I'd want him to learn about dealing with money and managing it. I'd want him to learn about business and dealing with people too. Being good at school doesn't matter if you don't know anything about how the world works and how to go out and produce a great income. You can have both of those choices though.
Valedictorian engineering graduates can expect to have a starting wager of over 100k per year, however you look at it, making 100k plus at 25 is pretty nice. If he's a professional athlete an injury could end he's howl career and he'd be stuck with nothing. Also the question was if you could chose, meaning you had to pick one.

Last edited:

Papa Bear

I'd rather have my son excel academically, finish his studies and then, he can do whatever he wants to do afterwards. At this point in time, a college diploma can take you farther into the world.

WagnerB

I prefer them excel academically also. If you want to build career in sports (also fine art or entertainment), you have to be very very good in it to be successful in the industry.